How can I make this look better

Slastraf

I'm no artistic genius but here are some ideas you could try.

- Turn down the ambient light. In the scene tab I used 15,15,15

- Use a different texture for your ceiling and floor. You use the same one.

- Make your floor the exact width of your texture.

- Turn down your spot lights so the shadows are present

Goodluck

• Upvote 2

You have some metal panels in there so you could put to use shadmars new shader that mimics pbr in combination with cubemaps and lightprobes to get more reflectance. Might need to tweak your materials to make it look good. Also your lighting is a bit to bright, as the other guys mentioned lower your ambient lighting. Also look in to emissive textures, sci fi scenes use them a lot to get cool lighting effects on wall panels and stuff and remove the directional light in your scene.

• Upvote 1

Your textures have details that clash with your geometry. You should use either neutral textures on those beams or have some interplay between your level geometry and textures. See Dexsoft's texture packs for examples of this:

post-1-0-92949800-1463122169.jpg

Or my own design, using a combination of CSG and some detail props. Notice that my design still flows from the textures:

post-1-0-23073300-1463122290.jpg

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Try adding some details, and some environment effects. In corridors you dont have much to do, just play with zones of interest, and a lot of repeating elements.

doom-3-11941.jpg

My take on it on the attachment, would play a lot on the lights.

post-2431-0-34951700-1463192407_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Suggestions:

1. You definitely NEED SSAO. Really it's a must for any indoor environment (but is great outdoors too).
  2. Add decals all over the place. Otherwise, the environment won't have character.
  3. Add bloom to make the lights shine more. But don't turn this too high.
  4. Like other said, make the ambient light darker. But also, I would avoid making it a grayscale color such as (15,15,15), but that's probably just my personal taste.
  5. Add particle effects unless it's supposed to be super clean.
  6. (Optional) DOF. I love it, but it's technically not realistic. It's more of cinematic effect really.

• Upvote 4

Your textures have details that clash with your geometry. You should use either neutral textures on those beams or have some interplay between your level geometry and textures. See Dexsoft's texture packs for examples of this:

post-1-0-92949800-1463122169.jpg

Or my own design, using a combination of CSG and some detail props. Notice that my design still flows from the textures:

post-1-0-23073300-1463122290.jpg

This might be a dumb question but how do you determine if a texture clashes with the geometry?

My philosophy, and I am not great a artist, is that textures and props guide the whole level design process. Your level geometry should just spontaneously rise out of that. If the pieces you are putting together don't spark ideas, get better pieces.

Textures aren't just surfaces of different substrates, they include geometric details like windows, doors, stairs, etc. that naturally guide the development of level geometry.

Models aren't just discrete objects, they are precisely sized objects that can be combined in interesting ways to create repeating geometry that combines with your CSG brush outlines.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.