The game is darker on every computer that's not mine?

I've been noticing this more and more often, instead of maintaining the same "darkness" on all computers, my game appears to be a lot brighter on my pc for no reason.

This is what the game looks on my portable computer:

post-13811-0-73875100-1464165119_thumb.jpg

That is how it's meant to look, dark but with enough light to see where you can go.

This is the exact same scene (same settings and all) on my main computer:

post-13811-0-02189200-1464165309_thumb.jpg

At first I thought my monitor had its brightness up, but nope, that isn't the issue.

I realize that the game will look brighter or darker on some computer because of a variety of things, but I find it really weird that it looks darker on anything that isn't my main computer (it also makes it very hard to make the levels since I can see really well but the final product turns out really dark.)

Anyone have any clue how I could fix this "issue"?

There are several games on the game launcher which are too dark on my pc.The only thing I can suggest is to increase the ambient light providing it does not spoil your game idea.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

There are several games on the game launcher which are too dark on my pc.The only thing I can suggest is to increase the ambient light providing it does not spoil your game idea.

That kind of sucks since it's way too bright on where I usually work, making it a lot harder to create the levels. Oh well.

I know of no reason why the game would appear darker in a screenshot taken from one computer from the other. I do see a difference in the screenshots above.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Different brand? I know when I switch from AMD and Nvidia, I always saw a brightness/contrast level difference in games.

It might be. I remember back in 2005 I had an Nvidia card when playing GTA San Andreas. It failed one day and we swapped it with a comparable ATI/AMD model. Without changing any in-game settings the graphics looked completely different. ATI was way more sharper and cleaner yet darker as it had more contrast. I'm pretty sure things are different these days but it's a possibility.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Maybe setting the ambient light colour in any script could fix this, even if its the exact same as in the editor.

Also if one could get the graphics card name and if its amd or nvidia set the colour a little darker in the script, so it looks the same for every card, you would need to experiment with both cards ,then.

Maybe setting the ambient light colour in any script could fix this, even if its the exact same as in the editor.

Also if one could get the graphics card name and if its amd or nvidia set the colour a little darker in the script, so it looks the same for every card, you would need to experiment with both cards ,then.

Is there any easy way to find out what type of GPU the player has? This seems like an ideal fix for my problem but I don't even know where to begin.

I think a gamma/brightness slider would probably be the best solution and I've seen this in a lot of games. Just slap one in the settings menu or the when the player first starts the game and store the settings in a config file. Don't know if you can change the gamma in the engine but you can always just brighten the ambient light.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't different hardware sometimes give different results from other bits of hardware?

As an example, I'm fairly sure even Photoshop has challenges here and you can change your preferences in order to minimise any colour differences as your image will look one way on your computer and very visibly different on another.

pshop.jpg

I also thought this was the reason why in a lot of games these days, that you go through a gamma calibration before you can play (eg, move the slider to adjust the brightness until the logo is barely visible).