New Technology? Unlimited Detail.

flado

i think it is more a hint than asking it

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

• 1 year later...

..im personally not impressed with such things..games new days already looking quite 'convincing' , visual wise, so, let say today we have this unlimited detail tech available and ready to use..well, based on past experience, it appears that cheaper way to 'progress' for all lead game companies is simple update of rendering cycle, to get visuals 'realistic', while gameplay itself, is a total failure, or better say, AI didn't evolve much at all from PacMan pathfinding routine, and its quite true when you look at things in to bits..so, having said that, real procedural world feature that hasnt evolved or upgraded at all is AI or for that matter, some really new, good gameplay, and to make things worse, even existing system of delivered gameplay in huge majority of games is not used in to its maximum potential..I find it rafter sad when i realize that games some 7-12 years old, has more of story-gameplay than games today..HL2 is typical example or even older game, Suffering, whats so scary that you are really really kept all time under some sort of 'psycho pressure'...not to mention System Shock, also, quite old game, but yet, brilliantly delivered fear detail on to player.. new stuff..well just shine and polishing, but junk..i wish i could see something like 'Ulnimited AI detail' or something like that..because all this graphics push ups are so non productive for making real game that i wanna puke.. :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

I don't think its a hoax. I live in the same city as this company making it and my Government is paying them a lot of money to work on it.

Whether it is feasible in games is another question. They are yet to show animations and physics of course.

This one is a bit of a "wait and see" and I doubt we would be seeing it being feasible (if ever feasible) in the near future.

As far as being possible.. well people used to say its not possible for the world to be round. There really isn't any way of knowing if it's possible or not... To know for sure that its not possible you would have to know everything.... Of course no one has that kind of enlightenment. Nobody 100 years ago would have believed most technology we use today is 'possible.

Neway that being said. I think this kinda thing would be cool but I'm sceptical that it will ever become plausible for animation and physics. In the end it doesn't really matter because graphics doesn't make games, gameplay does.

.... sorry for reviving an old topic once again folks XD

BTW: Its not much but I found this... Looks like Euclideon is hiring 3D Artists, this one dated Jan this year... not much but its proof they are still working on it.

http://www.tsumea.com/news/190112/3d-artist-opening-at-euclideon

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

It's definitely possible. There's an open-source example of this out there, somewhere.

One problem is it's no good for skinned meshes. I could see using something like this for terrain, and then using conventional polygons for everything else. Of course, it would be fantastic for rendering medical data.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It's definitely possible. There's an open-source example of this out there, somewhere.

One problem is it's no good for skinned meshes. I could see using something like this for terrain, and then using conventional polygons for everything else. Of course, it would be fantastic for rendering medical data.

Yes I guess You could use it for everything static in a game world. In doing so you would probably be able to increase the poly count of everything else that moves effectively still making it a lot higher quality...

I'd imagine if they could ever come up with a way to animate it they would not be able to use any conventional means like skinning etc. they would have to invent a new way to animate that has never been done before that would work.... whether that way exists or not no one knows.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!