Questions about texturing models

ocean

I'd like to get some tips on how to go about texturing my models. Uv-unwrapping is not something I excel at and unwrapping/ texturing models more complex than very basic geometric shapes proves somewhat difficult.

My models aren't particularly complex to begin with. They're mostly manipulated cubes, very low poly (but still complex enough for me when joined). So I was wondering if it's possible to unwrap and texture these cubes separately and then join them into a complete mesh after the fact? Would it then have one single uv map and texture to deal with? And would it handle being exported for use in Leadwerks?

I work in Blender, by the way.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Ubuntu 14.04 / 64bit. Dell XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 4Gb Ram, Radeon HD 6670, Leadwerks Pro edition (Steam).

Great news! I shall try. However, another question has popped up... Is there any way to maintain the material colors on a blender object when exporting as .fbx?

Ubuntu 14.04 / 64bit. Dell XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 4Gb Ram, Radeon HD 6670, Leadwerks Pro edition (Steam).

Thanks for all the great information. I'm not exactly worried about accuracy as this is more of a stylistic project. I could have gone for flat color, but I want more grittiness, so a certain amount of texturing is needed but relatively low-res.