Disappearing objects and brushes.

ocean

I was wondering if someone could help me diagnose a consistent problem I'm having in my maps where when the FPS player turns around quickly some objects and csg brushes have disappeared, revealing the skybox beyond, and then pops back into existence. I can't understand why, because my scenes can't be considered complex at all (The counter says approx. 1500 polys and around 4700 shadow polys with 4 lights in one map I've just started.), and the gameplay is otherwise super smooth. But it leaves me a little bit apprehensive about continuing because it feels like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

It's the east walls (if you look at the map from the above view in the editor.)

Using Leawerks 4.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 with a HD6670 graphics card.

start.map.zip

Ubuntu 14.04 / 64bit. Dell XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 4Gb Ram, Radeon HD 6670, Leadwerks Pro edition (Steam).

This is a consequence of how the culling system works. Leadwerks uses GPU occlusion culling, which means there is a small delay before visibility data returns to the CPU. Normally this is so small you can't really see it, but sometimes it can cause artifacts like what you are experiencing. That delay does seem rather slow. What kind of framerate are you getting?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Oh, okay... So, there's nothing wrong with my building? Just seemed strange that it was always those particular walls. The framerate ranges from around 48-60.

Ubuntu 14.04 / 64bit. Dell XPS430, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 4Gb Ram, Radeon HD 6670, Leadwerks Pro edition (Steam).

If you shift your entire map over to another position this particular problem will likely go away, but my guess is AMD drivers are just slow on Linux.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Does this stop happening in run mode instead of debug? The frame rate in debug mode is consistently 1/4 of what I get in run mode. Lower frame rate may prevent the culling caluluation from reacting fast enough.

Unfortunately, no... It makes no difference. I've made a model of a room in blender which I've imported and placed just behind that disappearing csg wall and it shows through when it happens. I'm not sure how the culling system works, and if perhaps my GPU is having trouble handling it. Of course, it could be the Linux drivers as well.