Suggestion: Object::CreateHook

Crazycarpet

I know this'd probably be a pain to implement but I feel like it'd be a really great hook to have...

The problem I'm facing now is I'm trying to attach a "PhysicsMaterial" to every Leadwerks::Material that's created, and right now I just use PhysicsMaterial everywhere instead of Material and the methods in PhysicsMaterial create the Material... but this is kind of a head ache, and not so Lua friendly..

I was wondering if it would be possible to get an Object::CreateHook because it's make life easier in so many situations, and it'd be a great counterpart to Object::DeleteHook...

It'd be nice because then I could just create my PhysicsMaterial on this CreateHook for the material and that'd be that, instead of this big, headache of a class that makes creating materials in Lua a headache til I expose PhysicsMaterial through toLua++...

I just feel like in general it'd be a great hook to have in so many systems... especially because in things like Materials, many entities may share one Material so I can't create my "PhysicsMaterial" when the entity is created.

It'd be nice to hear back on this from you Josh because if you're planning on adding it I definitely want to put my project on hold as this would make life so much easier in the future.

Edit:

-Another problem w/ the way I'm doing it now is I have to do a sloppy hack spawning a huge box to change what type of material every LE entity and collapsed brush that's created in the editor uses...

-I also don't know how you'd implement CreateHook since like.. it'd have to be global and not object specific (because we obviously can't object->AddHook() when there's no object) but something like this would be so handy... I guess the hook system couldn't do it but if you could think of another way to implement this it'd be so amazing.

A callback like this is literally make-or-break (work-arounds working pretty well) for people who want to make robust C++ games, because otherwise we have to have tons of hacks every time we have a situation like this where we want to extend the behave of an LE object type.

I'll try to post an example of a situation where this'd help later... basically the problem right now is we need to implement seemingly unnecessary hacks (that could be avoided with a callback) every time we want to extend the behavior of LE object types, and in turn this really limits the type of projects that can be made in LE

But again, I do realize this'd be a pain to implement in a neat, working manner because we run into all kinds of issues like what type of object is it, etc.. maybe LE would benefit from some form of global-hook system?

Physics Material Files for info on how we're extending "Material":

http://pastebin.com/HZBfZGi6

http://pastebin.com/twVLUPWG

Again! I know this would be a pain, but it'd make LE Objects so much easier to extend, right now its SUCH a headache.

I really feel like LE is too focused on Lua, to the point where it's next-to-impossible to make a pure C++ project that is unique, and robust... this simple solution would make all our C++ problems go away! we even have our C++ entities working w/ the flowgraph editor (thx reepblue)! This is the last problem (to my knowledge) we need to conquer.

Edit2:

Why can't we just have some global hooks thru System::AddHook for creation of LE objects?

• Upvote 2

Have you thought about initializing the physics material the first time it is queried, if none is created yet?

PhysicsMaterial* GetMaterialPhysicsMaterial(Material* material)
{
if (material->userdata == NULL)
{
PhysicsMaterial* phymat = new PhysicsMaterial;
material->userdata = (void*)phymat;
}
return (PhysicsMaterial*)material->userdata;
}

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Have you thought about initializing the physics material the first time it is queried, if none is created yet?

PhysicsMaterial* GetMaterialPhysicsMaterial(Material* material)
{
if (material->userdata = NULL)
{
PhysicsMaterial* phymat = new PhysicsMaterial;
material->userdata = (void*)phymat;
}
return (PhysicsMaterial*)material->userdata;
}

That's the work around I ended up doing... I just feel like it'd be nice to have these hooks regardless.