One to rule them all

Roland

Why not make life more easy and go for CodeBlocks on Windows as in Linux. One IDE for both environments. Saves time for the user and for you Josh. One IDE to support instead of two. And when the day for MAC comes CodeBlocks will work there also. Better for us users and better for you Josh as you don't have to jump between different IDE's not to talk about the maintenance of project files.

AV MX Linux

Hmm. I've never used CodeBlocks. Not sure if you've ever considered the advantages of Visual Studio over it, if any.

There are now direct advantages other than you don't need to have two sets of project files if you are making your game for both Linux and Windows (and ..maybe later om MAC). The idea and advantage is to have one IDE and project for all platforms. Josh would also gain from that as he wouldn't have to keep track of project templates for several different IDE's.

AV MX Linux

No reason why you would need Josh to create the project file. You could start from the Linux codeblocks project file and add an additional build target. Don't forget to configure the compiler settings for MSVC first.

You are missing the point. I personally have no problem doing that. It's more a question about what's official supported.

• Upvote 1

AV MX Linux

The GDB debugger or the code blocks implementation of it is nearly unusable. If free VS ever starts to support Linux, we will switch to that.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

app game kit switched from CodeBlocks to Geany editor as ide.

https://www.geany.org/

(with vs 2015 community i had a lot of trouble.)

PC : Win 10 Pro 64 Bit , 4x cores ~2 GHz , 8 GB RAM , AMD R7 265

2D : Photoline , Zooner Photo Studio 13 , Art Rage Studio 3.5.4 , Ashampoo Snap 7 , ...

3D : Shade 15 Basic , Carrara 8.5 & DAZ Studio 4.8 , Cheetah 3D 6.3.2 , Via Cad 8

Music : Samplitude Music Studio , Music Creator 7

IDE : Leadwerks Engine 3.x , Unity 5.x , (Unreal 4.8.x) , AGK v2.x , Construct 2 , (Clickteam Fusion 2.5) , ShiVa 1.9 , Game Maker Studio , MS Visual Studio .Net , Android Studio , Monkey , ...

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to add a configuration setting in the main preferences so that when you click the edit icon on a script it opens a user preferred editor(?)

For example, someone may wish top open with VS Code, Vim, Emacs, Notepad++, etc.

It's probably not a "mainstream" must have but even engines like Unity, etc. support this and to be honest it is really nice feature. The request isn't to change the tooling itself and most of us that use different code editors find ways to do this regardless but I would donate money for this feature just because it makes the workflow easier for those of us that work in multiple environments.

Worth noting that for those of us that do use the supplied feature know how to pass in arguments so essentially if the preference is undefined/blank it uses your built in Lua editor for example otherwise it calls the user defined command preference. You're obviously smart so I don't need to explain how to do it but you get the gist of of the request I hope. It's a minor one but really nice to have.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...