Third Person Camera

deadlinegrunt

I really push this engine every chance I get. The problem is you compare this to something like Godot and I my productivity is through the roof. Is it because i have my "steam" setttings to always have the latest beta or what? I find scripts that where part of a project no longer available. All the youtube channels seems to be geared towards Leadwerks 2.5. This engine seems in a constant state of flux and a script I write a few weeks ago no longer works without debugging.

I am not slamming the engine, the community, or the forum but I am confused as to what I am doing wrong. Case in point a a TPC to a a dice that rolls off of a slanted off camera plane that works perfectly just quits working. Where are all the the third person scripts that were easily available now at?

Forget youtube. Engine has changed too much for those tutorials to be useful.

I make games for a living and this is the hardest engine to learn with the most potential that just leaves me perplexed. Rather than rag on the engine, what am I doing wrong?

Respectfully.

@devcjohnson in regards to opting into the Beta, I would caution against it. In earlier versions of Leadwerks I opted in because I wanted the latest and greatest features. But now I just stick with the stable release and have a lot less issues. Steam also gives you the ability to wind back Leadwerks versions (its under the beta tab in properties). So you could wind back Leadwerks to an older version if you wish.

In regards to scripts I copy and rename the default scripts that I use so that, for example, if Leadwerks updates the FPS player script, it wont ruin my game. Even when Leadwerks does update some scripts copies of your originals can be found in the backup folder.

You Tube channels I recommend

Jorns , Project Saturn (takes you thru a whole game) and some videos on how to use the Terrain editor.

BluHornet, shows how to develop a HUD and other useful stuff.

Leadwerks also has it own tutorial section as well.

Older scripts live here. But there is a fair chance these will no longer work because they are old. Far safer to check the Workshop for current scripts, models and textures.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 2

Thanks. I will check out the YouTube Channels mentioned and I no longer opt in on BETA builds except to see how things are progressing, especially when interested in a particular update, but then I roll back. Again I can't stress this enough - I AM NOT HATING on the engine or any of the community; just trying to make sure I am not doing something wrong because scripts that came as templates when starting a new project are no longer present, e.g. Third Person Camera, Follow, etc. I have done integrity checks via Steam which will reinstall whatever is corrupted and even pulling in a template script on a "blank project" that included very little from the Steam installation location if needed all the way to WIP that were functional now getting errors.

@Thirst Panther - renaming default scripts that I use I learned early on. I believe one of the tutorials even hints about it for the example on this site but does not really cover why this is a good idea in general; regardless that is great advice of course. I never modify the default scripts directly.

Aggrors c++ tutorials for le 3.1 still work on current version of le.They include third person and fp examples. I am not sure where you can find them.

( I mean the actual code not the video)

• Upvote 1

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

@Jen "- It lacks community activity. I need support from time to time but there's no one to reach unfortunately. The forum is too quiet. There are a few I'm grateful of (Mattline, tipforeveryone) who are always there to help, thanks. "

Exactly. Now in an effort to be intellectually honest there has been ZERO post that I have made that have received NO response so it would be unfair of me to criticize these forums as being non-active but then they don't always answers the questions an intermediate user will ask. It seems to be polarized between advanced and noob. (Subjective observation from a myopic vantage point of mine, not fact) I don't know the best resolution to this particular dilemma but I could not agree more with the point you make.

@cassius - another point I am trying to make you back up. Video tutorials are great but some of us learn from actual code. I don't mean copy and paste but reading the code like a book and walking away with a better understanding. Myself, sure I am a lone in this camp, show me code and keep the video. The videos are nice, PLEASE do not get me wrong but some of us learn better from actual code. For example:

I don't know what this line of Lua/C++/Language of choice is doing - I go look it up so I can understand the languag, without the teacher having the burden of trying to cover every separate learning style possible.

• Upvote 1

While I truly appreciate the advice given in this thread, some of it I already knew but others may not, please disregard and close this thread. TLDR; I have multiple computers and I am an idiot not realizing I was streaming instead of working off the PC I was on.

This was the cause of my missing files that should be in the template folder...and of course it was a BETA version. Hey, at least I owned my mistake. lol or sigh or both(?)

I can relate to what you are going through. Sometimes video tutorials are nice to see how someone works, and other times you just want to read the code at your own pace on a webpage or book.

Still, some of those video tutorials, al be it that they are oudated on the engine itself, are still usefull for when you look at the gameplay coding idea. Api and menu options might have changed since then but the general idea on how you create a third person camera is still valid.

• Upvote 2

Maybe community should be more active on the wiki front.

There is good content on forums if you search, but maybe not enough visibility.

Also the reference documentation and code examples are simply great.

Had no problem to start using leaders from c++.

• Upvote 1

I made this with Leadwerks/UAK:

Structura Stacky Desktop Edition

Binary Station

• 3 weeks later...