Beta Branch as Free DLC

reepblue

During one of the talks (I believe Games As A Service or Early Access) one of the speakers mentioned that they put their beta branch as free DLC so users can go back and forth from the stable release to the latest beta.

I think this would be really great if Leadwerks did the same thing. This way users can continue develop their game on a stable release but also check in to see what's new. Sometimes there might be a feature that people would want to check out and test but it might screw up what they're currently working on (i.e new map,model version or something else wacky.)

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

• 2 weeks later...

Why wouldn't they just add the beta EXE as a launch option?

Our beta builds don't just change the EXE they change scripts and other files too.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

You could also make it a "Tool App" in Steamworks and it'll get treated as a separate app. Only thing is that it'll be under "Tools."

Just a thought when I left as going back and forth between builds is a bit of a hassle. Not everyone is going to have an archive of previous builds like I do. rolleyes.gif

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

Technically, people do with the branch system already in play. Issue is that in-order to switch branches, you'd need to redownload the differences.

What I did was every time a build gets officially released, I backup all the contents of the Steam depot and place it under Leadwerks/Archive, then go to the beta branch to play with new features. (I'm not working on an actual game at the moment, or else I'd stick with the most stable.)

When I notice that something is broken and it's a real bother like the libs not working anymore or something; depending on the update, I can ether redirect the LeadwerksLib path and keep the beta tools to wait for an official fix or backup the contents of the beta and restore the dlls and exe. Not really concern about scripts/shaders, but that depends on the update.

Yeah, what I do is prob not ideal, and something a typical user would not need or do. However the idea of having the stable and beta branches locally would be nice, especially with the ones with slow or limited Internet.