Spline tool: paths, roads and more

AggrorJorn

Got distracted this evening when I found these models of powerline towers. Although totally not the intention when I started making these camera path splines, but I just realised how much more I can do with these things. It is very usefull for creating ropes and cables as it turns out. there is always more to do....

Powerlines

post-45-0-46275000-1478644468_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

nice

has you found a way of getting constant speed over the spline?

are you using some criteria for placing control points based on endpoints?

i mean, you only set the endpoints and then pre-calculate based on them the control points, then manually adjust the ones that need adjustment...hope you understand my question.

Paren el mundo!, me quiero bajar.

• 3 months later...

okay good news and bad news.

Good news: Once the basic tutorials for Lua are done, I will pick this up again.

Bad news: I made this project on my old computer. I always use bibtbucket for my repositories. The repository was not yet downloaded to my new computer. I cloned the repo to my new computer but found out that it only contained a bare leadwerks project.

As it turns out: the code for pathing and beziers was not stored in this repository sad.png. Apparently all code resided in a temporary project which I did not store in a repository. Since I though it was just a test project I completely removed it from my old computer before moving to my new computer. *Smashes head against wall.

Luckily I know how it works now, so I will have a headstart when rewriting everything.

• 3 months later...

7 months after the original video I finally picked up my spirit again to redo the spline paths. The splines themselves are created at runtime. With the debugging options enabled you can really see the cool results of the spline. Movement on the spline still has some slight hickups at high speeds. So that is something I have to dig into. Rotation has yet to be added. Especially banking gave me a lot of trouble last time. I will try to make a video tomorrow when I have the time.

F58429F6A028F36B153118871C2D1D3649AC47CC

Road nodes 

The spline paths can also be used to create roads. The roads can cut through or raise terrain where necessary. Per road node you can set the width and a texture. Remaining things to do are side banks, performance optimization and possibly intersections.

• Upvote 7

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Closing in on the release date. Only 2 more days.

• Road generation has been optimized a lot. 
  • Example scenes are ready.
  • Side geometry: banks

Todo:

• Terrain alignment still needs some work. Odd scenarios
  • Sometimes textures get strange artifacts.
  • Rotation mode: spline alignment is not as smooth yet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Upvote 4

Unfortunately no. The controls, movement and rotation are done for a while now but I still need to find a decent (free) test model with lots of animations. I think people would expect an animated character with the third person script and I want to release it with a flexible character animator component.

10 minutes ago, randomdude said:

Oh Jorn I can make one if you want. I´m a pro on animating by now and have a big load of bvh´s. I just need to know what animations you need.

Awesome :)  If you help me out with that you'll get a free copy of the script. I will send you a pm.