Steam forums and these forums

Rick

Just went out to the LE forums on steam. I always forget to check these and it seems it gets decent action. I wonder if there is a way to have those posts automatically post here and our answers to them post on steam automatically? The Steam forums suck so bad, it would be nice if there was a way to do this.

• Upvote 1

I honestly wouldn't bother. The forums on steam are very limited in functionality and people are better of posting their question on werkspace. The activity on steam is an average post every 2 days or so. I'd rather see Josh spending his time on Leadwerks itself.

I do wonder if people who buy the engine are aware of the werkspace forum. Most people that ask questions via youtube haven't even bothered to check leadwerks.com. Perhaps Josh can send out some kind of welcome email for every user that purchases the engine.

I actually considered making that our main forum when we first went on Steam, but I found they don't support attachments, and all topics beyond the most recent 300 are automatically pruned. Steam did replace other parts of our community, including the gallery and downloads sections. Our website is using much less IPB features now than in the past.

It seems like a very small minority of users ever even create an account here, yet there are always like 200 guests lurking.

It's also really weird that people seem to go to YouTube first for tutorials, despite the giant menu in the header that says "Tutorials".

In the future, a starting interface similar to Visual Studio that shows a list of recent topics, Workshop items, and news might be a way to channel people into the community. I also added a big "Sign in with Steam" button on the home page, but I don't know yet what effect this has had.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I always go to youtube first if I'm trying to learn something new. I prefer seeing video of a person working in the tool than reading. I really prefer short, 2 min or so, videos of how to do 1-2 specific things. Flying through tutorials gives a nice sense of accomplishment and you can always go back to a specific video if you forgot something and it won't waste 10 mins or your time. Maybe a series like that would be helpful with LE.

• Upvote 1

I really prefer short, 2 min or so, videos of how to do 1-2 specific things. Flying through tutorials gives a nice sense of accomplishment and you can always go back to a specific video if you forgot something and it won't waste 10 mins or your time. Maybe a series like that would be helpful with LE.

Once the new UI is out, I want to somehing exactly like that. Short videos demonstrating a very single topic. This makes it easier to replace a video once a feature in Leadwerks becomes deprecated or changed so that the video tutorials no longer works properply.

@Josh, when someone buys Leadwerks on Steam, do you or can you send them a custom welcome email? I never seen that with other steam games or software so that might not be possible.

• Upvote 5

Once the new UI is out, I want to somehing exactly like that. Short videos demonstrating a very single topic. This makes it easier to replace a video once a feature in Leadwerks becomes deprecated or changed so that the video tutorials no longer works properply.

@Josh, when someone buys Leadwerks on Steam, do you or can you send them a custom welcome email? I never seen that with other steam games or software so that might not be possible.

I don't get their email address, unfortunately. I could add a sign up for the mailing list link on the welcome page or something like that.

The analytics will be great, but it's a one-way communication process. I'm thinking a lot about "user engagement" and this was recommended to me by someone very smart in the industry.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The editor is where it's at for that. It's what everyone uses more than anything else. It needs to be more alive. Live notifications on posts done here (opt in/out of course). Maybe even possibly be able to post here from the editor. Stuff like that to make the editor just more part of the community since the editor is the one thing all people who use LE have in common.

• Upvote 1

I always go to youtube first if I'm trying to learn something new. I prefer seeing video of a person working in the tool than reading. I really prefer short, 2 min or so, videos of how to do 1-2 specific things. Flying through tutorials gives a nice sense of accomplishment and you can always go back to a specific video if you forgot something and it won't waste 10 mins or your time. Maybe a series like that would be helpful with LE.

agree 100%, youtube is the first place i think most people would look and there isn't any substitution for a good youtube tutorial series, text tutorials are great and all but i find videos are so much easier to grasp and learn from.

can't wait to see these tutorials.