Let's find out what works

Josh

DoomSlayer was nice enough to share his download numbers with us, and his game Lone Water has the following numbers:

IndieDB: 21

Game Launcher: 38

GameJolt: 1800

itch.io: 2800

His game is featured on the front page of itch.io so I am not sure whether these numbers are representative of what everyone can expect.

GameJolt and itch.io even have their own download clients. They might be a sort of Steam for pre-release games. It could be a way to even monetize your game early on, and create a smoother transition to having a full title on Steam.

I'd like people to post their games on itch.io, GameJolt, and IndieDB and post links to each in a reply below. After a month I will look at the number of downloads on each and write a summary that recommends the most effective channels to distribute an early version of your game to.

• Upvote 3

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Interested to see. I know a lot of the Steam Community is sick of Early Access Titles. Maybe GameJolt and Itch.io are where more early adopters are?

Anyway, the Vectronic Demo has 1,682 current subscribers, and 1,819 overall on the workshop.

• Upvote 1

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Here are my numbers for A Demon's Game since it begun, note that I have never been featured in the front page of anything, the closest thing to that was the game being in the top 100 a couple of times on indiedb, but that has barely any effect on the attention the game gets.

IndieDB: 768

Gamejolt: 305

Game Launcher: 633

I was never able to release a demo on itch.io since they don't allow anything over 2gb. Hopefully that will change when ogg support is released officially.

• Upvote 1

Those are good numbers on game launcher, but you both have been on there since near the beginning of the early access release. I am concerned that there may be a big increase in traffic in the initial release, but then it will drop off. The stuff being released right now doesn't have nearly the same number of installs.

Only 20 subscribers to this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=843483061

I don't think that is going to increase much over time. 20 x 12 (months) is still an order of magnitude lower than it should be.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think running a game jam is a great opportunity because all your games could potentially get better exposure than if they were just on their own. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.