Any Chance We'll Be Getting New Water Before LW 3.0 ?

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

i know i'm a pain with this ocean water thing... but just need to know if there's anything in the works...

thx

--Mike

I know it's important for your purposes. It's hard to find the right person to write the implementation. Have you found anything I should look at?

Page 22 of this doc has an OpenCL implementation, which is appealing to me:

http://www.hotchips.org/archives/hc21/1_sun/HC21.23.2.OpenCLTutorial-Epub/HC21.23.250.Lamb-NVIDIA-OpenCL--for-NVIDIA-GPUs.pdf

I am having trouble locating the actual demo.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

josh could you show us how to use the old water in the new engine at least

this will allow people to get on for a while till you find a better soultion

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

Guest Red Ocktober
Have you found anything I should look at?

i've been playing with the Torque 3D demo (open and play attached wmv)... they've got a nice water implementation... the demo is downloadable...

yes... that sounds like a good idea for the time being...

in version 2.3 you had nice looking water with foam on top of the waves, and nice refraction from beneath...

--Mike

Because it means devoting time to supporting a feature that isn't implemented well.

That guy has nice atmospheric scattering, but his water is no good:

To get those results, you could simply model a patch of ocean and make a grid of them scrolling by the camera.

I want this done right. Here's a good implementation:

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

check out the wmv movie i attached above...

--Mike

I don't think that video looks good. The waves look like sine curves. It's the kind of thing that looks okay at first, and after a couple of weeks it really starts bugging you because it looks so weird.

I contacted the guy who's video I said I like.

I don't think that video looks good. The waves look like sine curves. It's the kind of thing that looks okay at first, and after a couple of weeks it really starts bugging you because it looks so weird.

I contacted the guy who's video I said I like.

Yeah I agree I like the Hydrax video. Maybe he can also put an advanced sky into Leadwerks as well =) *greedy*

The guy Josh is talking about placed that water into Ogre which is open source.

There is also a guy who contributes to Blender game engine who has made some water his name is "martinsh"

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=152343

It's possible he might be able to help get you in touch with the right someone, which may in fact turn out to be he himself.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

Guest Red Ocktober

the wave profile is partly the result of the properties i have set in... the water is customizable to a degree...

there's more to the effect than the waves that makes this work... take note of the refraction effects and visibility of the object as it submerges...

NemoSub3.jpg

one thing missing though is the caustics effect that LW water has...

anyway... the one thast you selected looks pretty good as well... it'd be nice if that could be easily implemented...

--Mike

I would rather have deformable physics water, no needs for hardcoded waves, since I can make waves myself by applying some forces to the water body to simulate wind. Maybe this could be done with simple softbody.

The plants at the end of this video could be used as water:

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Guest Red Ocktober
The water seems to defy physics as it washes up the surface of the submarine in wave formations

not to put words in your mouth, but i think you meant to say that the water seemed to defy the laws of physics as it washes up the surface of the submarine...

you may be right... which laws of physics would you referring to A... :)

to me, for the most part, it seems to look quite natural... i mean, for a video game that is...

unless something like what Lumooja mentions is in the works, realistic wave motion against a moving object would seem to be a dream... and would have to be faked by adding a lot of particle (or other effect) to simulate or mask the actual visual...

bottom line... regardless of what it looks like it's doing... undeniably it looks a lot better than the existing LW water... and seeing as my game is taking place on and below the water... that is why i'm being such a bother about this water thing... :)

thx for watching the vid and taking the time to comment...

--Mike

The Nvidia demo from 1999, which runs on a GeForce 256 has a deformable water ball.

I think GeForce 8 can do the same as GeForce 256:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cool_stuff.html#/demos/601

You could just take that ball and make it bigger, like the size of the earth, and add more triangles.

Or if that's too heavy, just make it a plane shape which is big enough for an ocean.

Then you can apply forces like you do in the demo with mouseclicks, and you can make it physics interactive too, by adding back the force from each clicked point to a physics body which is near the location of the physics point (using AddForce).

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

The guy we want is pretty active on the ogre forum so he'll probably reply quickly

let's hope so, I've always loved Hydrax so much, don't let him get away ! Track him down to the ends of the earth. Maybe he'll also throw in the advanced sky.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Because it means devoting time to supporting a feature that isn't implemented well.

That guy has nice atmospheric scattering, but his water is no good:

To get those results, you could simply model a patch of ocean and make a grid of them scrolling by the camera.

I want this done right. Here's a good implementation:

I've seen that video before, and it's quite awesome.

I'm a huge fan of Water Rendering, in my opinion it's one of the most important things in a Game. Even though you maybe don't interact with it to much. It's just something in my backbone.

And by all videos I've seen that HydraX, DX11 and of course CryEngine 2 have the best water renderings. CryEngine 2 also supports water deformation as well as it looks as awesome as it gets. Got the same feature as Mike wanted with the Water, and you can yet see down to the bottom of the ocean, if it's not to much water of course.

CryTek never cease to impress me :)

Example of CryEngine 2 Water Physics:

Yeah, I like to kiss CryTek's asses. ;)

Currently learning the basics of the Leadwerks Editor.

• 2 weeks later...