Monthly Script Challenge April 2017

Thirsty Panther

Welcome to the Forth Monthly Script Challenge.

Each Month I will set a challenge for gifted Leadwerkers to solve. Once you have perfected your script post your map to this thread. At the end of the month I will go through all the entries and judge the winner. I will then place the winning map on the Workshop so others can learn from them.

Rules.

Entries must be your own work.

Entries must be submitted before the end of the month ( April ).

Any assets you use must be your own or Royalty free.

The map that you submit can be used by others for commercial use.

Have fun.

April Challenge

This month I thought the challenge should be a weapon. Leadwerks already comes with a pistol and you can get a shotgun and automatic weapons by buying the DLC. So whats another iconic gaming weapon?

A Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator. Aka Gravity Gun. Made famous in Half life 2 it was originally designed for handling hazardous materials. But with its ability to "fire" objects it becomes very handy as a weapon for knocking down barriers or enemies.

Your script should replicate the functions of the Half Life gravity gun. That is the secondary fire button to attract and hold an object and the primary fire button to shoot the object.

How you implement your script is up to you. Remember the winning script should not only solve the problem but should also have comprehensive comments within the script so that new users can learn from your script.

Prize

As announced last month we now have a sponsor. Yeah.

Damien Defranco and his company Vixeemo are now the proud sponsors of the Leadwerks community monthly script challenge. Vixeemo (http://vixeemo.com) is an all-in-one business solutions brand for your start-up or project needs.

The winner will receive a free web & graphic design package provided by Vixeemo that includes a 3-page professional website design (Home, About, Contact), logo design and integration, banner/slider design, a blog section, and an additional gallery page to showcase images/video or projects. Vixeemo will work with the winner to fully customize everything to bring the vision to fruition.

This prize is perfect for any Leadwerks user who wants to get their project or brand onto the internet. The winner will need to provide the domain ( TomsHardware Guide ), and Vixeemo will do the rest. This design package is valued at over $400 USD.

A great prize for your hard work and a great way to give your game project that professional look to make it stand out from the crowd.

If you have any ideas or thoughts on the Challenge please feel free to comment.

Gordon Freeman and I are looking forward to your submissions.

PS Josh could you kindly pin this thread please.

• Members

• 627 posts

Welcome to the Third Monthly Script Challenge.

Each Month I will set a challenge for gifted Leadwerkers to solve. Once you have perfected your script post your map to this thread. At the end of the month I will go through all the entries and judge the winner. I will then place the winning map on the Workshop so others can learn from them.

Rules.

Entries must be your own work.

Entries must be submitted before the end of the month ( March ).

Any assets you use must be your own or Royalty free.

The map that you submit can be used by others for commercial use.

Have fun.

March Challenge

Weather plays a big part in any game. Be it a horror game with a scary house with the wind blowing. A survival game where you need to find shelter to get out of the snow or a racing game where the road becomes slippery when its raining. Weather provides a passive obstacle for the player. Just as a zombie or a locked door can inhibit the player so can weather. Using weather in a game can provide an add level of interest to the player and add depth to your game..

So your challenge this month is to create a Weather system. Your map should include rain, snow and wind. You are free to do this anyway you like. You could use shaders or emitters its up to you.

I decided not to provide a map this month. Most entries in previous challenges make their own maps anyway. I have provided a small collection of sound effects for you to use.

Weather Sounds

How you implement your script is up to you. Remember the winning script should not only solve the problem but should also have comprehensive comments within the script so that new users can learn from your script.

Prize

Currently I have no prize to give. Your reward will be admiration of your fellow Leadwerkers and being the third winner of the Monthly Script Challenge. Your name will join the previous winners Garlic Waffle and Genebris in the Leadwerks Hall Of Fame.

If any person or company would like to donate or sponsor the Challenge you can contact me on this forum.

If you have any ideas or thoughts on the Challenge please feel free to comment. This is the first time I've run anything like this and I want it to be successful and useful to the community.

Looking forward to your submissions.

PS Josh could you kindly pin this thread please.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed making a gravity gun and learned a lot. After a week of work I made something I'm pretty proud of. I hope you like it!

Link

The gravity gun is 100% compatible with the LW first person shooter which comes with LW. All you need is the beam material(made by reepblue)(everything else is made by me) and the gravity gun prefab and the script of course. You can just drag the prefab into the gun slot on the player! There is a model included. If you want the enemy to die when you throw stuff at it, you need to add a short piece of code to their script, I have done that for you in the map I uploaded, but if you have a custom script you will have to do it yourself(Just copy paste, it's already written).

There are several options with the gravity gun which you can learn more about in the script. I have commented every line of code describing what it means and does.

Thanks,

Controls: mouse1 to pickup/drop

mouse2 to fire object

r to change mode

scroll to change distance between object and person(only in scroll mode)

• Upvote 3

Unfortunately I started work on completely the wrong weapon, a portal gun! I only just realised now so no submission from me. Still the competition got me doing something I might not have challenged myself with and I hope to get it completed sometime.

Hope to have something for the next challenge, which I hope continue.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...