OK...Is This Feasible?

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

lately i've been having this bad feeling that i've been wasting a lot of time in modelling apps building interiors of submarines... i mean, i wind up replicating geometry that is pretty much used throughout the interior (pipes, rails, flooring, switches, etc)...

so i'm wondering... is it practical to design say a submarine as an entire scene... interior and all... and move it around a larger map...

this would save a ton of mdeling headaches... just build the pipe section, floor section, etc... and asemble em, just like in a real factory, as a scene... even go as far as using the scripting to implement logic for the submarine (add logic to control wheels, switches, dials, etc)...

in an earlier version of LW i experimented with loading the hydro scene and having it move slowly around... but i didn't pursue it...

just wondering if this is a practical way to go in the current LW version...

--Mike

I would build the submarine of seperate components, and then join them together with physics joints.

That way you can have many identical compartments repeating through the submarine, and just add some pipes, desks, shelves and other stuff to each compartment.

That makes you also able to break the submarine apart, or only parts of it.

And when the submarine turns, pitches or rolls, the player would see the angle, even when he is inside the ship.

I think that would bring a great immersion and make it feel more real.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I actually had a similar thought I little while ago. It might pay to grab Crysis and open up the airship carrier level in the editer. You'll find that there is very little there that is a complete scene. Much of it is made up of little pieces put together.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

Guest Red Ocktober
Why does the interior of the submarine need to move around? Do submarines have windows?

well... as a matter of fact, some do... haqve ya ever seen 20,000 Leagues beneath the sea... Nemos sub had plenty of windows... ever been aboard a tourist sub off Bermuda... lots of 'windows' in those too...

as far as military subs are concerned... take a cruise aboard one... when it dives you'll understand very quickly why i'd want to move the interior of a model of one around...

until then, i'll try to explain my reasons...

in order to get a feeling of immersion, the sub interior is gonna have to at least pitch and roll while diving and turning... it doesn't necessarily have to move with the exterior model, but it will have to duplicate those movements so the player can get the feel that something is happening...

but my question isn't just related to making submarine interiors...

suppose i wanted to model the titanic... or the inside of a train car in the demo you posted in the sdk... or what about modeling an Abrams Tank... surely you'll conceed that these objects have windows...

what i was trying to get a read on was if there was any reason that these things couldn't be modeled as a scene, and then dropped into a game...

--Mike

They would all be parented to the scene pivot, which you could move around, but if you are trying to use physics it would get messy.

I think you could just roll the camera if you want to simulate motion when inside the sub.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

well... as a matter of fact, some do... haqve ya ever seen 20,000 Leagues beneath the sea... Nemos sub had plenty of windows... ever been aboard a tourist sub off Bermuda... lots of 'windows' in those too...

as far as military subs are concerned... take a cruise aboard one... when it dives you'll understand very quickly why i'd want to move the interior of a model of one around...

until then, i'll try to explain my reasons...

in order to get a feeling of immersion, the sub interior is gonna have to at least pitch and roll while diving and turning... it doesn't necessarily have to move with the exterior model, but it will have to duplicate those movements so the player can get the feel that something is happening...

but my question isn't just related to making submarine interiors...

suppose i wanted to model the titanic... or the inside of a train car in the demo you posted in the sdk... or what about modeling an Abrams Tank... surely you'll conceed that these objects have windows...

what i was trying to get a read on was if there was any reason that these things couldn't be modeled as a scene, and then dropped into a game...

--Mike

I don't think there would be too many technical reasons why not (Though don't hold me to that). It more often comes down to the fact that cutting up a scene often saves a lot of time because you're able to reuse resources more readily.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Guest Red Ocktober
It more often comes down to the fact that cutting up a scene often saves a lot of time because you're able to reuse resources more readily.

yes... my thoughts exactly DJ...

Josh, rotating the cam is really not an option... i've tried this option before, and it really doesn't work well...

the player controller seems to react very well when an entire scene (the old hydro.sbx) is moved around and rotated... kudos, really good job with that... the player doesn't fall through the floor when the scene pitches up or down...

also... when i tilted the scene downwards, the physics enabled stuff (oil drums) slid down the floor towards the front wall... then, when i dove the scene underwater... they drums floated up to the top, and one or two worked their way past the scene geometry and floated to the surface...

really coool... :lol:

(quick question... in 2.25, how do i change the underwater fog color... i need to make it blue instead of gray, and the function only takes one param (the submession color isn't there)

thx

--Mike

I don't know if that was even implemented in 2.25.

I think your physics objects will have problems if you are moving the submarine without using physics forces. There are commands to calculate the forces to move or rotate a body a certain way.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I don't know if that was even implemented in 2.25.

I think your physics objects will have problems if you are moving the submarine without using physics forces. There are commands to calculate the forces to move or rotate a body a certain way.

Is this because moving geom in certain ways doesn't trigger collision and thus force reaction on objects? I know D3 used to disable physics on an object once it reaches a point where it is barely moving and if you say changed the gravity value or moved static geom out from under it, it wouldn't react until a force trigger was applied to it (shooting it for example).

Programmer, Modeller