vcruntime140.dll missing

gamecreator

I just copied a project over to my laptop to test and when I tried to run it, it gave me the following System Error:

The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

A little searching revealed that I apparently need to install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015.

While I'm OK with doing this on my laptop, I don't want to make my friends install this just to help me test my game. Is there a known workaround for this?

Note that at first I just copied my entire project folder but publishing a project gives you the same error.

Out of curiosity, I found the DLL and put it in the folder, which resulted in a new error (in both published and unpublished):

The application was unable to start correctly ...

So how do I get projects to my friends to test without forcing them install the redistributable?

After a little more research, it looks like if I include 4 DLLs with my project, this problem should be fixed.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35097193/can-i-bundle-the-visual-studio-2015-c-redistributable-dlls-with-my-applicatio

I got around to trying this myself and it wasn't enough on my laptop. Even with the DLLs copied in the folder, I continued to receive the 0xc000007b error (which makes it seem like there is at least 1 more DLL missing).

• Upvote 2

Installing Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2015 fixed it. I thought x64 would be enough but seems like I needed the other one (too?). I guess as developers you need to instruct people to install this since it looks like Windows 8.1 doesn't include it. The DLLs I mentioned above weren't enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Installing Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2015 fixed it. I thought x64 would be enough but seems like I needed the other one (too?). I guess as developers you need to instruct people to install this since it looks like Windows 8.1 doesn't include it. The DLLs I mentioned above weren't enough.

Yes, this and OpenAL should be part of your install process. You can set this up with INNO Setup.

Note also that if you use Steam, you will need to copy over steam_appid.txt manually or your program will crash if you use Steam functions. If you haven't had your game Greenlit, the file should have the number 480 in it.

Maybe this is happening because my account has access to app 355500 and yours does not? I think I tried that at one point but switched it back to 480 because of this.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yup. It took me a little why to figure out why my program just crashed at the time. smile.png Changing it back to 480 fixed it. But now publishing a standalone game doesn't include the txt file so it still needs to be manually copied (not the end of the world), at least last time I checked a month or two back.

• 3 weeks later...

If you distribute a finished standalone game do not include the stream appid text file.  If it is distributed on Steam you don't need it.  If it isn't, you should not be hooking into Steam.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.