Character Controller Bugs/Problems In Beta

Project file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6sxskkdzranqvtb/NewtonTest.zip

(Using the current beta.)

Moving Platform Bugs

While moving platform is going down and you walk along it, you see your character snap back a bit after stopping. While it's going up, your character ends up in it. It used to fall through but I couldn't recreate that this time.

Jump Off Slopes Is Extremely Low

Jump height when jumping off slopes is drastically reduced. I was able to make that jump by stopping, jumping straight up and then holding right, which is goofy in a platformer. In the project I've included a workaround suggested in a previous thread. Comment out line 133 (player1->SetVelocity(v)) to see the problem in the project.

Fall Through Ground

At a higher gravity setting, the character will fall through the ground when jumping from a height. The default gravity produces a slow, floaty jump and it needs to be increased for a platformer to feel solid and responsive. I've tried a suggested SetSweptCollisionMode(true) with no effect.

Thanks for taking a look. I'd also love to hear that I'm doing something wrong if that's the case.

Project file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6sxskkdzranqvtb/NewtonTest.zip

(Using the current beta.)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today's test results with the current beta:

Moving Platform Bugs
I wasn't able to replicate the character going into the moving platform any more so that seems to be fixed.  The rubberbanding issue still exists.

Jump Off Slopes Is Extremely Low
This doesn't seem to have changed.  Jumps off slopes are still reduced.

Fall Through Ground
This issue has not been fixed.  Out of curiosity, I removed the gravity increase and left it the default -25.  Even at that gravity, the character does fall through the ground like shown in the video above.

At this point I'll leave this in your hands to test with the project I provided.

7 minutes ago, gamecreator said:

Fall Through Ground

This issue has not been fixed.  Out of curiosity, I removed the gravity increase and left it the default -25.  Even at that gravity, the character does fall through the ground like shown in the video above.

I know it's a long shot, but is there even the slightest chance that the character is somehow moving in a negative direction along the Z axis (Moving away from the camera) effectively missing the platform?

Doesn't look like this is the case or anything, figured I'd throw it out there.

Switched back to beta.  Updated project.  Recompiled and ran.  All models were gone and only the blue sky showed (DrawImage).  But it scrolled when I moved as expected so the controller (and I guess the ground) is there somewhere.  Hmm.  Did the camera change or something?  Or changing the context to draw the background (maybe with the GUI change)? Investigating...

• Josh locked and unlocked this topic

The fall through the ground seems to be fixed, even at higher gravity: awesome!
The jump off slopes sometimes jumps full height, sometimes doesn't.  Remember to hold right while you jump, even if you let go after (so that you're running down the slope while you jump).
The rubber banding on the moving slope to the left still remains.

Sidenote: the line near the bottom of the code should be changed to this, to see the max height jumped properly:

context->DrawText("Max jump height: " + String(maxheight-startheight), 10, 30);

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Admin locked this topic