My latest work (scifi textures 2.0) - scifi materials

TWahl

If anyone is interested I might upload some of my old materials to the steam workshop individually for a small price - the money I would get would go towards supporting this project. I will try to figure this out in the coming weeks if I have any time for that.

45 minutes ago, carlb said:

am sure some people would love to get your stuff and they looking good as well

Thanks!

I will probably put my older texture maps up for between 3 to 6 dollars a piece depending on their size. I think there are around 30 of them if I remember, most of them I made somewhere around 8 years ago.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm approaching a point where I need to start creating game templates for the new engine. One of the templates will be an FPS demo unashamedly based on Doom and I am interested in using your artwork for the level design.

• Like 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

13 hours ago, Josh said:

I'm approaching a point where I need to start creating game templates for the new engine. One of the templates will be an FPS demo unashamedly based on Doom and I am interested in using your artwork for the level design.

I actually just started a new job working as a Product Development Engineer last week (at a major automotive OEM manufacturer in the US), so right now I have been in the initial steps of planning out a new development PC (finally!).

Need to save up some money to pay off some important things first though because I am still kinda college-kid-poor. I'd definitely be down to make contributions to an FPS demo though as long as there is some reasonable compensation for myself, but I'd rather discuss those types of deals when I feel like I am ready to get back on my feet again with this project, that is after I get on top of other things financially also.

Having a brand new PC to work with for the first time in years is going to be a gamechanger though and I am really looking forward to that! But... I need to be wary of the fact that I will need to work around a full time schedule as well as any potential social obligations that might arise (friends, family, weightlifting, weekend "activities" etc.). I don't want to burn myself out that way.

It feels like every year new software comes out that dramatically changes a game dev pipeline and I have been paying attention to see what programs are out there which I can buy in order to get the highest quality possible for textures, models etc. Most of those decisions are going to be based on what speeds up my workflow the most without making sacrifices in terms of visual quality.

I'll keep updating in here as usual for now when I have news.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@TWahl please respond to my message I sent you related to these sci-fi textures, thanks ?

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Pc build is going to be coming very soon. Black friday and christmas deals are gonna be my friend.

Currently planning a build that will utilize an Intel Core I9 9900KS, two RTX 2080ti GPUs, and 128 GB RAM. Not going to do water cooling but will be buying a decent sized tower that will allow for placement of many case fans. Also not going to bother with running SLI, but may add that in the future. I read a bit about Quadro cards, but after looking at the price tag those are out of the question (probably beyond overkill for what I need). I like the idea of running two gpus instead of one, which will make more sense when using multiple high res monitors or one ultrawide display.

For a monitor I will likely shell out for something 4k, which will be great for clarity and color.

If any of you have good reccomendations on some 4k monitors that are a balance of quality and price let me know. My budget is around 4000 dollars and I will be buying the parts over the course of the next 6 weeks. My goal was to allow for some futureproofing and take into account the fact that I will probably be too lazy to reupgrade later down the line.

This is also going to be a more conservative build so I am not giving a damn about spending excess money on RGB lighting and alienware-looking cases.

I based a build off of a CAD/engineering and game development workstation on PCpartpicker, the guy who uploaded it (back in october this year) used it for zbrush, maya, substance painter, solidworks, fusion 360 and such. I will post some final specs next week if I can.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Impressive! You might want to check if a mid-tower case will be okay for your purposes. A full tower is very very tall.

I might look into this, but I am honestly not bothered too much by the size of the thing. It will probably be fine. Might mock it up in cardboard to see how it fits in my room though haha.

going all out with that build ?

Does that case have a clear side panel? ..it makes things fancier..lol

20191121_210408.jpg

• Sad 1

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

1 hour ago, BES said:

going all out with that build ?

Does that case have a clear side panel? ..it makes things fancier..lol

20191121_210408.jpg

Yup haha.

I am actually going to use a different case than I listed above. Gonna find one that has an actual glass panel. I'll probably put some bluish-white lighting inside to make it look cool but not distracting.

Likely I will not get a 2nd graphics card initially (since they are 1.2 large a piece). I'm sure one card will be fine until I start launching substance painter or 3d coat/marmoset or something. I also have to deal with checking to make sure when they are restocked by nvidia. For some reason I don't know if I want to go with a 3rd party for these cards...

Your pc looks nice as well

• Sad 1

On 11/21/2019 at 10:38 PM, TWahl said:

Yup haha.

I am actually going to use a different case than I listed above. Gonna find one that has an actual glass panel. I'll probably put some bluish-white lighting inside to make it look cool but not distracting.

Likely I will not get a 2nd graphics card initially (since they are 1.2 large a piece). I'm sure one card will be fine until I start launching substance painter or 3d coat/marmoset or something. I also have to deal with checking to make sure when they are restocked by nvidia. For some reason I don't know if I want to go with a 3rd party for these cards...

Your pc looks nice as well

Thanks, the 2920X Gen/Rev 2 threadripper gets toasty at max load on all cores though with a liquid cooler ...so I don't do very intensive tasks ..afraid to fry a nearly $700 CPU ...example I did a blender render test earlier today ...all 12 cores maxed out at 100% @ 3.5ghz and it reached 173F(78C) .. bright side though the render was 2min and 28sec ...not exactly sure if the temps are reporting properly ..the Core Temp tool seems to be the best ..but thats where I monitored the 78C temps from though ..so still not sure..

This is the case I have https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-fractal-design-define-r6-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352093?Item=N82E16811352093

• 4 months later...

Been plugging away during this quarantine and spending a lot of time indoors, working from home, skyping college friends (aka happy hour), playing NFS Heat/Resident Evil 4 on my new XB1, and watching textures render.

Also, about to order new computer parts sometime this weekend, along with a copy of substance painter.

I'll admit I took a few months off of this to build up some funds, but with the stimulus check coming in I think the time is ripe for me to build a dedicated PC. Shipping times are going to be interesting however and part of me is a little weary of ordering electronics from overseas. I will be looking into this as well just as a precaution.

Just wanted to check in with a small update, thanks everyone.

image.png

• Like 1

Build ordered, parts will be arriving this weekend. See parts list below for specs:

image.thumb.png.5fa6258b1dabe0ec4be17fc70c62bc46.png

image.thumb.png.f407c9a8c5bf3d08d6891a0e678acbd3.png

image.thumb.png.e85684184cea57db1410bd5af0690f9e.png

image.png.b2bcd3eb89b620a252f59dc4b7d2d933.png

I went a little more conservative on the build this time to save money, however it will still be extremely powerful. The first one I posted a while back was a bit overkill. If I need to, I can add another GPU or expand on memory in the future. That was also the reasoning why I went with a 1200W platinum power supply.

I really lucked out and was able to get all of these components shipped from Newegg, with the exception of some extra case fans from Phanteks on Amazon.

Stay tuned.

34 minutes ago, havenphillip said:

These are top-notch. How are you making those initial designs?

Thanks!

I use Fusion 360's toolset (sketch extrusions, fillets, chamfers, splits, etc) to block out high poly details, then I go back and add micro fillets to smooth hard edges and make nice bakes.

I export the solid cad geometry as an Autocad .sat file, then reimport into 3ds where I prepare the highpoly models for baking by tiling them 3x3 (for a tiling ambient occlusion map). These are exported as a .fbx file and thrown into xnormal, where the models are baked down to a simple plane mesh. Some of the high poly models can have anywhere between a million to more than 50 million polys after exporting for bakes! Quite taxing on my laptop (I only get about 5 fps at that point).

I find this method way easier and less destructive than trying to fool around with turbosmooth in Max. I can also apply this method to props and scene items as well.

This link to this person's workflow more or less explains the general process of using fusion 360 for a highpoly, although I do not need to clean up meshes for lowpoly models in this case (because I am baking on simple 2d planes). If I were doing game props the workflow would very much be similar.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xzKWRY

There are many other artists who utilize Fusion 360 for game assets. Definitely google around and look at what can be achieved. It is pretty cool.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, havenphillip said:

So wait you're actually making 3d models and then creating 2d textures from them?

Yes, actually. This is quite a common technique in AAA games and has been around for quite some time, albeit with some evolution over the past 10-15 years. It's generally called hard surface modeling or some variation of that.

• Like 1

• Josh featured and unfeatured this topic