My latest work (scifi textures 2.0) - scifi materials

TWahl

3 hours ago, Josh said:

If you go the PBR route the new raytracing stuff I am working on will make those metal surfaces look really good.

Yes I will definitely be using pbr materials - I'm particularly excited about raytracing though! I've seen it implemented in a few games on youtube and it looks pretty amazing. Looking forward to that Josh.

In other news, built the pc and got it up and running. It is a beast. Previous renders that took multiple hours only take a few mins now! And I don't have to worry about choking my pc when modeling anymore. I can't wait to do more with it.

Currently I am taking my old files off of my laptop hard drive and organizing/decluttering them. I have another laptop I have to take the hard drive out of as well to do the same thing but it is not with me.

Next step is a monitor, looking at 1440p or 4k IPS. But for now I am going to go out and buy a cheap one to hold me over for a week or two while I finish up some more cad modeling/basic rendering tasks.

Some more pictures from today. Mainly worked on finding the best and fastest way to create some material ID maps for more specialized textures, as well as figuring out how to best take advantage of substance painter's masking capabilities within layers, etc.

Substance is great because I can tweak on the fly as well (change colors, remove certain paint sections, and more).

Screenshots from the viewport:

floor_31_subst_vwpt_1.thumb.PNG.1e2372c42ac7b060da063bb3a5b71a19.PNG

floor_31_subst_vwpt_2.thumb.PNG.a5a9e2a8ea567351f45087cd6923bd99.PNG

floor_31_subst_vwpt_3.thumb.PNG.b88e44c3c4f16c4267f1716192f7e601.PNG

floor_31_subst_vwpt_4.thumb.PNG.9c7b90a155428d49cecf5b7043c530e7.PNG

Things are really beginning to come along, although I am still in the process of trying to optimize my workflow with painter in conjunction to my toolset.

• Like 2

I will also be including a nice selection of detail textures, like this expanded metal texture (baked from a real cad model):

image.png.2fd359d98d937e8613b1acd57e53137a.png

I have many more of these, ranging from vents to pressure plates, bare/painted metal, rust, mesh fences, slotted grates, etc. They were very simple to model and render. The above could also be used in more modern settings as well, which is nice. Overall I am going for a gritty and industrial look so it fits nicely. I can see this being applied to dividers, walkways, or fence railings.

• Like 1

Sometime in the very near future, I think I will move all work in progress updates to a thread on polycount. Once I make that thread, I will post a link in here. Main reason is that there are a lot of talented/known CG artists who work on there and I would like to have their critiques.

However, that does not mean I will cease any updates here on the leadwerks web site. I still plan on doing blog posts, in fact that was something I have been planning for a while to get this project a tiny bit more publicity. Instead of intermittent updates I want to do a monthly/biweekly blog post where I can hopefully present more and richer content.

Any replies to this thread I will still answer to for the time being, but I wanted to let you guys know about this so it does not seem like I am abandoning this project.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Creating ID Maps in 3ds max for use in Substance Painter, using a multi-subobject material configured with HTML web colors:

image.thumb.png.997f1d0d4b04428e74e02dbe127ef20f.png

I will have to do this for all textures, does not take too much time for each one but it is tedious. The above I did in a couple of minutes, other more detailed textures will take longer (but not by much).

Might sound funny to some people but I am still not entirely happy with the results I am getting in painter. Thinking about going ahead and making some custom grunge to use instead of the stock options. Also I probably need to go into substance designer and start making some dedicated smart materials.

On the other hand, further down the pipeline I have thought about doing some "cleaner" variants, so you could have a medical lab setting or something as well. Luckily substance painter allows me to inject this type of variation pretty quickly and easily. Still going to work on one type of look at this time though

At the bare minimum I will be including different paint variations for each map where applicable.

5 hours ago, havenphillip said:

You got them sharper dude I can tell. They look real.

Really itching to get these into any sort of game engine at the moment, still have a lot more work to do though. I'm getting closer and closer. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Current progess:

*Began modeling all the wall textures a few days ago. Currently have around 10-12 done. 40+ more to go.

*Total 54 trims at the moment, 55 floors, 57 walls.

*ID maps for floors/walls still need to be generated. This will be done after all the modeling is done.

*Need to model 10 ish more detail textures (not shown in excel below).

image.png.2fc984cc31bc5e2e430c82fde4520402.png

Above figures are missing about 20 or so textures (some a,b,c variants for floors/walls, also do not have detail textures represented in excel sheet). Total number of textures is likely to exceed 200 unique maps before the diffuse painting process begins.

Quick peek of a model I created today:

image.thumb.png.260157712ff4167ecf026d9b91155472.png

image.thumb.png.51be10483339f9a30edf21a147b22e1d.png

One thing worth considering is designing textures to support interesting geometry. Instead of just thinking of a texture as something that covers a flat square, a good  texture set can influence the level geometry. This makes it much easier for the level designer to create a good scene. To make doorways and trim details that can be cut to the geometry, you want to make sure those features line up to a power-of-two size or combination of power-of-twos, i.e. 32, 48, 64, 192 etc.

If you have a set of textures created this way, your levels pretty much design themselves.

pk02_floor_cyl01_C.thumb.jpg.922af6fa932acd9e8536ee149f4c249f.jpgpk02_floor08a_C.jpg.6c61e3ab1a3753d2698fc464f8385875.jpg

pk02_floor08b_C.jpg.01cd75a48dacd3b7194243b317007fff.jpg

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

34 minutes ago, JMK said:

One thing worth considering is designing textures to support interesting geometry. Instead of just thinking of a texture as something that covers a flat square, a good  texture set can influence the level geometry.

I already have some textures like those, just not pictured. Most of my textures look "square" but I try to incorporate areas of modularity within them so they can be cut up and used in different ways.

Yeah, when you have different floor textures you can place next to each other to make a bigger design, it really makes the level flow. Having a corner trim piece, for example, looks a lot better than just slicing it at a 45 degree angle and having a visible seam.

Alpha discard is also a great feature for floor panels and fencing, you can do a lot of interesting things with that when you are building a scene.

f50e7e4fdd22ae1ed4984b5beb42a7d5--game-interface-tabletop-games.jpg.5f5de12763ba3d0f9b7d1af48486ca5a.jpg

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Josh featured and unfeatured this topic