My latest work (scifi textures 2.0) - scifi materials

TWahl

• 3 weeks later...

render_7_13.21_darklight.thumb.png.0c517a0be97f6f2835856cb6deb72b00.png

Played around with some more lighting just for fun. I took a lot of inspiration from games like dead space which utilize a lot of very bleak light schemes. Really wish I had some more objects to put the materials to besides just flat cubes though, will have to tackle that eventually but right now that isn't very high on my priority list. Need to make some sort of modular meshes with good poly detail, in addition to smaller objects like light tubes, crates, and whatever. Luckily the amount of modular "hero" assets I would eventually have to create would be minimal as I can make use of trim sheets to quickly make corridor pieces, pipes, or columns out of what I have so far.

I am particularly happy with how well the different texture maps blend when placed next to each other, the bevels really do a good job of making a contiguous looking surface and hide the joints between the maps.

--

I will also be making a new photo album in game art very soon, where I will be posting (most) of my wip images in the form of an art dump. I will continue the blog and forum thread if I have anything major to post regarding product release or other matters that are more in-depth or technical.

• Like 2

I am having a really tough time trying to get my image files to upload to the gallery, perhaps the file sizes are too big? Not sure what the problem is... I can only get it to work 1/10 times and the rest just upload as empty files.

I will post this here for now - some more substance work I just wrapped up.

Wall 27:

Wall_27_Substance_Iray_Render.thumb.png.c6cbfb42e6ebc0906a5937601a979f15.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making a lot of progress on the trim textures so far, so I might take a slight detour and try to make some modular assets in the near future. This is something that wil need to be done in time for putting the promotional materials together.

I haven't done any poly modeling in 3ds Max in quite a long time, so I am a little rusty. But I am confident that it should come back to me very quickly. Looking to create "mid poly" assets that are more aligned with polygon budgets in current generation AAA titles like Resident Evil 2 (very good game). One good thing is that I should be able to utilize the CAD geometry that I previously created for the high polies of the textures in this process. I will remove fillets and very fine details until I am left with the shapes that will most clearly define the sillouhette (major panels, cables etc) then export to FBX and unwrap. Stuff like small rivets and bolts will be left alone. Should really take things to the next level.

Painting height map details has also been my friend, so I can spend less time modeling small detail elements and/or "floaters".

I have quite a huge reference folder to give me inspiration, so I will begin to start by taking a look and making some preliminary sketches.

• Like 1

I had a few textures made specifically for pipes so I decided to start brushing up on edge modeling by making a midpoly from them:

image.thumb.png.12b6c1f778a6f519280fb6d4c5e9c2f8.png

I'll bend this into a cylinder and make a texture in substance, then make further pieces for bends, etc. I decided to start with this since it was simple and did not require too much work.

I went ahead and made a texture in substance painter. Happy with the result, will definitely be making more...

pipe_1_render_wip.thumb.jpg.252344d15fcf24b1a2133d5781f91bf1.jpg

Normal map is a little messed up because I am tired and forgot to check the right box on export, but it still looks cool regardless.

Pipes are on a 100x100cm grid.

• Like 4

Some more pipe meshes I finished today.

I tried modeling a high poly "cap" mesh for my other set but the topology came out all messed up, so I decided to scrap it. Going to focus on using trims/texture modeling for now since I will need to brush up on my subdivision/turbosmooth modeling workflow.

pipe_2_render_wip.thumb.jpg.f7fc93a6f189912338b7ceff7aec2060.jpg

I'm going to try and make some of those fence barriers next. I always like how those look in scifi environments.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Just want to post again because I have not in a long time. I am still here, still working on this project here and there although definitely not as much as I would like. I started a new job a little while ago and I had to take time to get things going there. But I plan to pick things back up very shortly.

Again just want to let people know that I have not forgotten - hope everybody is still doing well. Also really like some of the most recent ultra engine blog updates, the new lighting capabilities look great!

Have a happy new year

TWahl

• Like 2

More work continueing on the floor textures. I have been able to create these rather quickly - mostly re-using previous projects and tweaking. Although I do take care to make enough changes to make each of the textures unique in their own way (slight differences in metal colors, dirt amounts etc).

In the end sub-variants will all be driven by texture attributes (rubber, treadplate, grating etc), paint colors, heavy or light rust, light aluminum or dark iron. Different variants to choose from for each type of surface you want will give much more utility to one single kind of "unique" texture, and the changes are easy to implement by disabling or enabling layers within the substance files before exporting.

More to come as the days go on - you can see more examples of my recent work in my new 2022 art dump gallery.

wip_floor_58b_tread_blue_canopus_ground.thumb.jpg.8edeeaa3e79e207a71911d0fc9e90522.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have a weird question. What would some of these textures look like if they were resized to 64x64? I have been messing around with Quake stuff lately. :D

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:48 AM, Josh said:

I have a weird question. What would some of these textures look like if they were resized to 64x64? I have been messing around with Quake stuff lately. :D

I can try just for fun:

image.thumb.png.3fab6a0819c4fe5039367e484119c7af.png

A lot of the detail is lost due to them being so fine which is unfortunate but also not surprising. I am not sure how some of the other maps will fair against these kind of low resolutions though, lol. Would likely be a different case if the working resolution was 64x64 and not 2k

14 hours ago, TWahl said:

I can try just for fun:

image.thumb.png.3fab6a0819c4fe5039367e484119c7af.png

A lot of the detail is lost due to them being so fine which is unfortunate but also not surprising. I am not sure how some of the other maps will fair against these kind of low resolutions though, lol. Would likely be a different case if the working resolution was 64x64 and not 2k

Does not look bad. Maybe some manual cleanup would improve it but it's 90% there already.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

6 hours ago, Josh said:

I want something with some computer displays and glass so I can make mirrors. :)

I plan on doing this with 3d assets in the future, rather than rely solely on 2d.

Upon packaging all of these materials too, I will make a "midpoly" from the highpoly model which will be used for level geometry. Will be easy to do since I already have the CAD geometry created and can just parametrically remove faces and features until I am at a point where a model can be game-ready, then export. A lot of games these days have a pretty high degree of fidelity when it comes to game-res 3d detail which is what I am after (gears 5 is a good reference).

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

I am still here. Just logged back on after a long period of inactivity. Really apologize for the lack of content over the past 5 or 6 months.

Lately in my job I've been working incredibly long hours, so it has been difficult for me to find a balance to work on this (would like to change that). Reading through some of the messages I have gotten over that time has motivate me to pick back up again and I really would like to finally complete everything although I really do not know when that is going to be. Kind of a fun part of the journey I guess, but I always hate making promises I cannot keep. What is for sure though is that I've definitely gained some new perspective on what it takes to complete a project like this in the past year or so, which is something that I will try to take with me when I inevitably move forward.

Just wanted to stop in here and make a post so that people know that I still have not forgotten. Hope all is well with everybody!

• Like 2