My latest work (scifi textures 2.0) - scifi materials

TWahl

Tiered idea is good.   I think it's very important that people can get a good idea of what assets are like and an actual sample is the best really.  Very glad to see you are providing the PSD's too.  It might be the thing that would push me to purchase (if the price was right).   For this community (small, often single person projects) I think being able to rework assets in some way is hugely useful.

Could you perhaps provide a sample PSD either in free pack or off a link (in forum or workshop asset) so people can get an idea of what they might be getting in PSD's too.  Maybe a low res version or watermarked or something? If you'd rather not, no problem.

Looking forward to your final release.

• Upvote 2

I do not think I will provide anything right now in regards to PSD files, but I can tell you that basically it will be exactly as they are exported (meaning that no layers will be merged or locked). You could take it down to a really basic level (no scratches, dirt, etc) if you wanted to. And this includes specular maps as well, which I will be providing photoshop files for. This allows the most creativity.

Thanks for inquiring though! And I am glad to hear that you guys like my work. Stay tuned for more stuff!

I will leave you guys with another teaser/treat for today, finished wrapping up all the curvature maps for the newer textures and batched old ones. Next task will be to go through some of the original textures I loaded into the previous screenshots and add more detail/increase resolution. I will also have to compile all the AO maps for the 100+ textures.

This weekend I am going to be taking a break from this project but work will resume next week.

online_digital_watermark_text (1).jpg

• Upvote 3

Just wondering since I have a little time to think, what are some other things you guys would like to see? Besides characters and weapons (that will be a separate deal in the future since that is a project in and of itself). I want to do modular walls/corridors/rooms/caves and environment props, but is there anything else in particular that I am not thinking of that would be particularly useful?

If I have time I want to try my hand at modeling a vehicle for a garage setting as well, maybe like a tank or an all-terrain ATV mining vehicle.

Any criticism and input is appreciated :)

TWahl

After further review I am converting all remaining old 512 textures to at least 1k on the largest side. I decided that 512pix, while still a fair size resolution, simply would not cut it for me and if I upgrade to this resolution then it will allow me to cram more detail into painting the diffuse maps. The older textures in the previous scenes that I made are also getting makeovers as well. This will pay off greatly in terms of visual fidelity and clarity.

Still chugging along guys.

I promise I will start posting more "complete" updates soon but I keep uncovering more things that I need to fix up, luckily I am closing in on the home stretch of the dirty work.

P.S. The compression you are seeing is a result of the online image watermarking program I am using.

Another little teaser just 'cause (and yes, I was inspired by David at Eonworks to make this one):

online_digital_watermark_text (2).jpg

8 hours ago, Core said:

These certainly look awesome! I wonder what is the prize range of those packages... 

Thanks!

Price is still pretty TBA and I will not know until things get finalized in the future (likely a couple months away at current pace, give or take).

Looks good.  If you are the same person that created the other sci-fi textures on the asset store, I wonder if you would consider creating a bundle deal for all of them?

Mike

• Upvote 1

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 980 GTX with 16gb vram / SSD drives

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1060 GTX with 8gb vram / SSD drives

Alienware Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1070 Ti with 16gb vram / SSD drives

My Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/michaelfelkercomposer

My music for sale: https://www.tgcstore.net/category/513?format=all&perpage=30&textures=undefined&price=all&order=default&artists[]=87213

Custom synths and sounds - http://www.supersynths.com

21 minutes ago, karmacomposer said:

Looks good.  If you are the same person that created the other sci-fi textures on the asset store, I wonder if you would consider creating a bundle deal for all of them?

Mike

Sorry I am not the same person but on the first page I outlined my plan for selling all of the content of this project. This will almost be more of a media pack than a texture pack (will be making modular pieces for corridors and such)

In the future I plan on doing content of other genres like dungeons or modern themes. And also smaller model packs and characters, weapons etc.

• Upvote 2

Helder Pinto and Philip Klevestav's collaboration project "Arbor Vitae" is likely how I will be doing my modular designs:

http://polycount.com/discussion/127659/arbor-vitae-udk-scene-wip

The first few images in his thread show their modular workflow. A very interesting read as well. Lots of great work from these guys and they are also a large source of inspiration for my work.

• Upvote 2

Got myself a copy of CrazyBump today and I will be utilizing this in my workflow to more efficiently create the texture maps (and allow more fine tuning). These are a few peeks from the 3D preview window (only showing a couple since I do not want to give too much away... yet! :) )

Thanks

wip1.png

wip2.png

• Upvote 1

I am very interested in seeing what you do for the models you are talking about.  When geometry matches details in textures you get a lot of really interesting stuff.  Of course if everything is modeled along a power-of-two grid (16, 32, 64, 96, 128, 192, 256, etc.) it will be super easy to drag around and quickly make levels.  I really like this kind of stuff.

If you do create heightmaps along with these materials, we can make use of those with the parallax shader.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

I am very interested in seeing what you do for the models you are talking about.  When geometry matches details in textures you get a lot of really interesting stuff.  Of course if everything is modeled along a power-of-two grid (16, 32, 64, 96, 128, 192, 256, etc.) it will be super easy to drag around and quickly make levels.  I really like this kind of stuff.

If you do create heightmaps along with these materials, we can make use of those with the parallax shader.

Yeah everything will be on a power of two grid. The modeling I will do after the diffuse textures are created, which I will put the textures on a flat plane and use edge insertion/extrusions etc. to add some more volumetric detail to the modular pieces. Not all of the textures will receive this treatment as some of them have rather flat details in general (i.e. a floor, flat-paneled wall, etc) where normal mapping/parralax will suffice.

The very cool part about this though is that I can even split the textures apart or combine materials to generate even more varied pieces just by, for example, combining a top half for a wall of one type of block with the bottom of another.

Yes displacement maps I will also be throwing in, although I do not know if I will enable them in the materials or not since (at least to me) textures can look very weird and almost like they are shapeshifting if you look at them from a very steep angle. Maybe it is just my video card or something (working on a laptop with an integrated chipset).

Really cannot wait to get to this stage though!

• Upvote 1

Also josh I am wondering, how does the leadwerks renderer handle objects that are not made of closed geometry? If I make a wall piece that is essentially a one sided plane with detail on the side facing the player, will I have any performance issues with things being rendered behind it? As opposed to making actual closed models that snap to each other (which results in higher polygon counts)

22 minutes ago, TWahl said:

Also josh I am wondering, how does the leadwerks renderer handle objects that are not made of closed geometry? If I make a wall piece that is essentially a one sided plane with detail on the side facing the player, will I have any performance issues with things being rendered behind it? As opposed to making actual closed models that snap to each other (which results in higher polygon counts)

You only need to make closed geometry for stencil shadows.  There are zero concerns for this in Leadwerks.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

16 minutes ago, TWahl said:

Okay good to know, but would that mean that some of the wall pieces will not be able to cast shadows in, on, or around themselves? Or am I mistaken?

Back faces do not cast shadows.  If you want a shadow, you need a triangle facing the shadow-casting light.

Doom 2016 had a lot of nice floor textures:

Doom-new-screenshots-1.jpg

Check out the curved pieces in the distance.  That is what I mean when I talk about the interplay of geometry and texture details:
doom_4_6.jpg

And don't underestimate the importance of specular maps:
DOOMx64_2016_05_15_18_20_32_675.jpg

• Upvote 1

NICE!  Those look amazing.  I am working on sewer levels right now in Leadwerks and am getting that kind of quality, so I know it's possible.

Mike

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 980 GTX with 16gb vram / SSD drives

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1060 GTX with 8gb vram / SSD drives

Alienware Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1070 Ti with 16gb vram / SSD drives

My Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/michaelfelkercomposer

My music for sale: https://www.tgcstore.net/category/513?format=all&perpage=30&textures=undefined&price=all&order=default&artists[]=87213

Custom synths and sounds - http://www.supersynths.com

Thanks again guys!

A little bit of old vs. new action (the orange-ish texture was made back in 2010 or something when I was just starting to get into this kind of stuff)

I simply took it and reworked it into something new and MUCH better.

wip6.png

wip6_b.png

• Josh featured and unfeatured this topic