PCI-E ethernet card compatible with Ubuntu 12.04

Josh

My new PC has an ethernet card in the motherboard that does not have Ubuntu 12.04 drivers by default.  I don't want to mess around trying to install a new driver.  Can you recommend a PCI-E ethernet card I can add that will be compatible with Ubuntu 12.04?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Who is your current manufacturer? Drivers should be available on their website. Run lspci to see full ethernet info.

As far as PCI Express cards go, I'd recommend anything in the server space. Enterprise hardware has a better chance at working in Linux than consumer grade.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_dcat=20318&Brand=Dell&_nkw=PCI+Express+ethernet&_sop=15

You can change the brand if you want. Something IBM, HP, Dell would all work fine.

Run this commend in terminal and I'll help you find the right driver.

lspci | grep Ethernet

You should see something similar to this:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express

Linux drivers are really just kernel modules. They operate in /dev/ file path much like a file would with open, read, write commands, they also support ioctl commands for passing parameters and other use cases. Way less complicated than windows tbh.

• Upvote 1

On 06/06/2017 at 7:08 AM, Josh said:

Because they completely changed the multiarch stuff in 13 and I can't compile Leadwerks on it.

My apologies, but the "stuff" is referring to libraries? Surely my ignorance to the Leadwerks compiling process for GNU/Linux must be apparent to you, however, with my limited knowledge for compiling Leadwerks on GNU/Linux, would it not make more sense to compile for the SteamOS, therefore Debian Jessie?

Not trying to downplay the compiling process, but only trying to gain a greater understanding.

SpEcIeS

The way multiarch libs work changed dramatically in Ubuntu 13.  I don't know how or if this relates to the rest of the Linux ecosystem.

Leadwerks 5 will be 64-bit only.  Until then, I will continue to use Ubuntu 12.04 to compile on.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...