Asset management in repositories

AggrorJorn

For programming (C++, lua, shaders), maps, ini files, materials files I use Git in combination with Bitbucket. I find this to be the golden combination for source control. Especially since I switch from my main computer to a laptop, I need something to no only have verison control, but also something to easily create branches. 

One thing that is lacking in this workflow is the source control of assets (models, textures, sound). These are not included in the source control because they pollute the repository in the long run. Plus the repository size quickly exceeds the size limits (Bitbucket free is 2 GB on repo storage, my project is currently 3.8 GB). LFS would be a nice solution to this problem but I haven't tried it yet.

I currently use Skydrive since I have 1 TB of storage on there, but dropbox works nice as well. However the downside to this is that these folders are not part of the actual project. So everytime I made a change in the assets, I have to manually copy them over to the folder in Skydrive/Dropbox.

What are you experiences for asset management? 

Hi, I personally use Dropbox and load the project directly out of the Dropbox folder, so I dont have to copy my files everytime. This works pretty good so far. Just download Dropbox for your Desktop, put your project folder into the local Dropbox folder and in the Leadwerks projectmanager import that project, but I had some issues now and then with overlapping files (luckily Dropbox always keeps both files) and Dropbox sometimes seems to block leadwerks from accessing specific files like maps.

2 hours ago, Genebris said:

Why not use GitLab instead of Bitbucket? It's the same but 10 GB instead of 2.

Nice! never heard of GitLab til just now, looks great. I like that it has a major feature Bitbucket is missing, that is the ability to search through your source code using the search bar on the website... Will most likely switch over.

10 hours ago, Phodex Games said:

Hi, I personally use Dropbox and load the project directly out of the Dropbox folder, so I dont have to copy my files everytime. This works pretty good so far. Just download Dropbox for your Desktop, put your project folder into the local Dropbox folder and in the Leadwerks projectmanager import that project, but I had some issues now and then with overlapping files (luckily Dropbox always keeps both files) and Dropbox sometimes seems to block leadwerks from accessing specific files like maps.

The problem you are describing with conflicting file entries is the main reason why I want to stop using it file drive kind of solutions. For 1 person it might do the trick but when especially when you work in teams or with multiple computers, you can get an enormous mess of conflicting files.  

3 hours ago, Genebris said:

Why not use GitLab instead of Bitbucket? It's the same but 10 GB instead of 2.

Very good suggestion. I see they also support LFS which is what is required for the game assets. Another plus is that the tool Git kraken has support for it. And of course the 10 GB is very welcome. Will definitely try this.Very