Explosions

GarlicWaffle

I'm making a game that incorporates explosions, and was wondering if there was a way to make the explosion move nearby props to make it more realistic. It would be fun to see things go flying around the room when something explodes. I also just wanted to post a question for the first time. :)  

Here is some pseudo-code of how i did it in the explosions workshop item

Creates a unit vector pointing in the direction we want to push. Needs to be in the GLOBAL space.

force_direction = ( destination_entity:GetPosition(true) - source_entity:GetPosition(true) ):Normalize() 

Check if object is airborne. If it is, leave it alone. If there is more than one explosion close together, it will cause the entity to no clip since the force will become cumulative.

if destination_entity:GetAirborne() == false then
	force_direction y = 1
else 
	force_direction = Vec3(0)                        
end 

Push the object while attempting to cancel out the objects gravity. (we multiply by the worlds inverse gravity.). We push in the GLOBAL space.

destination_entity:AddForce(force_direction * Vec3((-world:GetGravity().y / destination_entity:GetMass())) * blast_force, true)

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone! I knew that I needed to apply forces to the objects somehow, I just had no idea what the easiest way to do it was, or how to start, but that code was super helpful! Thanks Einlander!

Now my dream to destroy the player with flying shrapnel can finally come true...