Monthly Script Challenge August 2017

Thirsty Panther

Welcome to the Seventh Monthly Script Challenge

Each Month I will set a challenge for gifted Leadwerkers to solve. Once you have perfected your script post your map to this thread. At the end of the month I will go through all the entries and judge the winner. 

Rules.

Entries must be your own work.

Entries must be submitted before the end of the month ( August ).

Any assets you use must be your own or Royalty free.

The map that you submit can be used by others for commercial use.

Have fun.

August Challenge

This months challenge is to create a loading screen script.

There is nothing worse than a player looking at a blank screen waiting for the game to start. If it takes awhile for it to load they get board or they think the game has crashed and Ctrl-Alt-Del and exit your game. So your challenge this month is to create a script that displays a loading screen while it loads the "start map" in the background. 

It can be as simple

Loading1.png.7a9e0d45e33536f2c45fca1498e7ef6a.png

or as complex as you like.

597303b00f247_Loading2.jpg.e80888d3a0be49292be1f94afa47fd0c.jpg

How you implement your script is up to you. Remember the winning script should not only solve the problem but should also have comprehensive comments within the script so that new users can learn from your script.

Prize

Damien Defranco and his company Vixeemo are now the proud sponsors of the Leadwerks community monthly script challenge. Vixeemo (http://vixeemo.com) is an all-in-one business solutions brand for your start-up or project needs.

The winner will receive a free web & graphic design package provided by Vixeemo that includes a 3-page professional website design (Home, About, Contact), logo design and integration, banner/slider design, a blog section, and an additional gallery page to showcase images/video or projects. Vixeemo will work with the winner to fully customize everything to bring the vision to fruition.

This prize is perfect for any Leadwerks user who wants to get their project or brand onto the internet. The winner will need to provide the domain ( TomsHardware Guide ), and Vixeemo will do the rest. This design package is valued at over $400 USD. This is a great reward for your hard work and a great way to give your game project that professional look to make it stand out from the crowd.

If you have any ideas or thoughts on the Challenge please feel free to comment.

I'm looking forward to your submissions.

I apologize for missing the July challenge as I was excepting the Summer Games to be on. Josh has decided to run a Fall Festival instead. So this will be the last challenge before the Fall festival.

PS Josh could you kindly pin this thread please.

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

The problem with a loading screen is(in the past I have tried to do it with C++), the map load call back doesn't give you all the required info like the number of entities it needs to load, and I have found it skips some entities. The docs around this are sparse. I have not tried this in LUA.

For peoples sake I will look at creating one in LUA and see how it goes. I'll poke at it tonight.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 11:11 AM, JKnife said:

the map load call back doesn't give you all the required info like the number of entities it needs to load

It would be the same every time so you can count how many it loads once and then use that number as the total for all future times.

Also, because Leadwerks uses instancing (I think that's the right term) you can pre-load all assets (trees, buildings, etc.) and do the progress bar at that time.  Then, when you load the map, all the assets should be already loaded so the map loading should be nearly instantaneous.

• Upvote 1