Poll: Third Person Camera

AggrorJorn

Do you want to see the third person controller on the workshop as a paid item?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see the third person controller on the workshop as a paid item?

• Yes
    • No

Hi community,

I would like your opinion on a question. I have been working on an advanced third person controller. The original idea was to sell this script on the workshop for a few dollars. What happened next is that I got contacted by @Rick and @Roland about converting this script to the Leadwerks Component System (LCS). In case you are not familiar with it: it is this really cool component and event driven system that makes creating gameplay so much more fun and managable. You can read more on it here and here.

LCS
To kind of help promote this cool system, I converted the third person controller to their system (which I call the RickRoll system). That means it will be opensource, and thus free to use and alter by anyone who wants to use the LCS. 

My question to you is, should I still put the third person script on the workshop as a paid item? Note that this script works without using LCS. This one would really be drag and drop from a prefab and you are done.

• Upvote 4

I´m in need for such thing and would pay for that. I dont know if it is possible but I have seen in the FPS script that using item buttons etc. is based on the point where the camera is looking at. If it would be based on a block in front of the player it would be better it is then useable for more gamegenres.

I´m thinking about this for longer, so I share my thoughts on that.

A invisible rectangle or box in front of the player that collides with an Item or button or person of interest and then shows the "hand" symbole. it would make it more universel for use. So you only need to use different kind of scripts for the entities to attach. It can make things easier. Best would be if the position of the box would be defined by the pivot that can be attached so its not nessesary to use the model axis which are often complete different.

I have a third person controller wtitten in c++ by aggrorjorn for le 3.1 which still works. I was thinking of trying to translate it into lua script but for a small  amount of money it might be worth getting this new one.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Yep- I will pay for it.

Mike

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 980 GTX with 16gb vram / SSD drives

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1060 GTX with 8gb vram / SSD drives

Alienware Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1070 Ti with 16gb vram / SSD drives

My Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/michaelfelkercomposer

My music for sale: https://www.tgcstore.net/category/513?format=all&perpage=30&textures=undefined&price=all&order=default&artists[]=87213

Custom synths and sounds - http://www.supersynths.com

On 8/14/2017 at 1:23 PM, randomdude said:

I´m in need for such thing and would pay for that. I dont know if it is possible but I have seen in the FPS script that using item buttons etc. is based on the point where the camera is looking at. If it would be based on a block in front of the player it would be better it is then useable for more gamegenres.

I guess the "use" function is common enough to implement it in the third person player as well.  However placing a block would still involve using a raycast from the camera. The only thing that would be different in comparison to a First person script is the radius of the raycast.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:05 AM, Yue said:

I think, what is great is that you teach us to make that script.

The C++ video Cassius mentioned is what I still use as a base for the third person script. This new script is just more advanced with a lof of extra options.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Yue said:

According to your experience, you can squat the character with SetInput ?.

This used to be possible but is currently not supported by the character controller physics type. Making physics behave exactly like you want to can be really tricky. I know that Josh has spend a huge amount of time over the years trying to get the current character controller in its current state.

If crouching is supported again, it will added to the third person script.

I guess the "use" function is common enough to implement it in the third person player as well.  However placing a block would still involve using a raycast from the camera. The only thing that would be different in comparison to a First person script is the radius of the raycast.

Yes I tried it but it seems the use function is based on the camera, like if the object/entity is in the center of the camera the hand symbol shows up. Maybe I just have to try it harder to solve this. Anyway thanks for your work so far, look good.

On 8/14/2017 at 6:23 AM, randomdude said:

I´m thinking about this for longer, so I share my thoughts on that.

A invisible rectangle or box in front of the player that collides with an Item or button or person of interest and then shows the "hand" symbole. it would make it more universel for use. So you only need to use different kind of scripts for the entities to attach. It can make things easier. Best would be if the position of the box would be defined by the pivot that can be attached so its not nessesary to use the model axis which are often complete different.

I would think that just making the "hitbox" of the entities you need be bigger. You can do this with invisible csg with a dummy script attached. Making it bigger than the model that you want picked. Generally this gives you finer control over each entity you want to be picked vs doing it on the picking itself.

20 hours ago, randomdude said:

Yes I tried it but it seems the use function is based on the camera, like if the object/entity is in the center of the camera the hand symbol shows up.

I must be missing something. With a third person camera, what you can interact with is also based on the camera and a pick. Ricks suggestion on making a larget hitbox can do the trick or the the radius of the pick can be bigger. 

• 2 weeks later...