How to put a weapon in the player's hand(s)

Carm3D

Hello,

I don't have a clue how to do this, but I have a theory how it would work..  If I wanted a character to hold on to a weapon, should I add a bone to my rig where the weapon would belong (like a bone just above his palm), and then I can tell the weapon to be a child of this particular bone referenced by the bone's name?

Also as a side question..  Can weapons (or any other models) have multiple shaders?  Like if I have a metal sci-fi weapon with rubber tubes sticking out of it.  Can I apply a metalish shader to the metal parts and a rubber/plastic looking shader to the tubes?

Thank you!!

If you want to, I could explain this to you more detailed in out next "lesson" ^^, but yes it pretty much works like you explain it. It can be a little bit confusing to make the weapon/item appear correctly inside the characters hands. You need to take care when setting the origin of the weapon. This can get more difficult, when working on a range weapon, especially when you visually see the projectile (e.g a bow/crossbow).

Yeah I've been thinking a lot about this..  I think with two-handed weapons the character from the neck-down would need to be turned roughly 45 degrees so the weapon can comfortably aim straight ahead.  This would also need it's own kind of walk animation.