World::FindEntity returns NULL

martyj

Here is the list of entities in my world

https://imgur.com/a/tPRa6

When I run the following code in Lua, it returns NULL

local world = World:GetCurrent()
CaveIn2_ATrappedMiner.boundingBox = world:FindEntity("EndAsdfgwg")

if CaveIn2_ATrappedMiner.boundingBox == nil then
	System:Print("Null bounding box")
	return
end

When I run the following code it returns the Entity as expected

CaveIn2_ATrappedMiner.rubble = world:FindEntity("Rubble")

When I loop through all the entities and print their name, EndAsdfgwg isn't listed in the World

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

App:FindEntity("EndAsdfgwg")

why are you doing App:FindEntity()? shouldn't it be 'world:FindEntity()' since you went to the trouble of finding the current world and thats the title of your topic? And are you for some reason still using the very depreciated app.lua scripting?

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

7 hours ago, AggrorJorn said:

Anything special about this entity? CSG brush, camera, model?

Reminder: CSG brushes are collapsed if they don't have a script or mass.  Makes finding the entity impossible if that hasn't happened.

The entity that cannot be found is a Box.

The entity that can b e found is a Pivot

4 hours ago, macklebee said:

App:FindEntity("EndAsdfgwg")

why are you doing App:FindEntity()? shouldn't it be 'world:FindEntity()' since you went to the trouble of finding the current world and thats the title of your topic? And are you for some reason still using the very depreciated app.lua scripting?

I've updated my sample to reflect the topic.

I wrote my own FindEntity function to try to see if there is a bug in the World's FindEntity. It just loops through the world entities calling World::GetEntity(n) and compares the name.

Both my version and the LE version have the same problem, I'd imagine they are along the same lines of code.

10 hours ago, martyj said:

The entity that cannot be found is a Box.

The entity that can b e found is a Pivot

I've updated my sample to reflect the topic.

I wrote my own FindEntity function to try to see if there is a bug in the World's FindEntity. It just loops through the world entities calling World::GetEntity(n) and compares the name.

Both my version and the LE version have the same problem, I'd imagine they are along the same lines of code.

good to know - without that info about your own function it makes people guess at the problem.

when you say the entity that cannot be found is a Box are you referring to a CSG created box or an actual model that has been imported? Because like Aggror has asked/implied about twice now: if that entity is a CSG created box that you made in the LE world editor and you do not have the mass set greater than 0 or a lua script attached, then that CSG brush will be collapsed into one object with all the other mass-less, script-less CSG objects in the world which would prevent you from finding it via the "name" key.

If for some reason this is an imported model or you have set mass or script to a CSG created box, then I would suggest posting  an example map and sample code so others can try to replicate the issue.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel