Terrain material looks blurred ingame

Hauser

Hello,

is there a way to improve terrain material quality ingame? it does look good in the editor but blurred out ingame.

I tried to switch on/off texture compression and/or mipmaps.

I changed "#define TERRAIN_LOW_FREQUENCY_BLEND 8.0" to "#define TERRAIN_LOW_FREQUENCY_BLEND 0" as shadmar once suggested.

EditorTerrain.jpg

IngameTerrain.jpg

Assumed i am not doing anything wrong and it is not my graphics card (GTX 980 Ti) i would love to hear it is indeed possible to improve terrain texture quality ingame. In the editor you can choose the texture filtering, you can assign normal- and heightmaps to the texture layer but at the end it does look blurry. It doesnt make any significant difference if i use 1024x1024 or 4096x4096 textures.

i would be more than happy to hear that i again missed a thing, overlooked a switch or am simply using the wrong shader.

Thanks gamecreator, it doesnt make any difference.

Do you guys all have cristal clear and crispy terrain textures ingame?

i wish i had at least the terrain texture quality the editor shows. Is this all a shader question?

Sorry for asking again, this is an important point for me.

Without an example map to try all we can do is guess. Help us to help you...

But these are my guesses:

1) Are you by chance using posteffect shaders in your game, like bloom, that would cause any blurring?

2) I wonder if the texture quality in game is being set by default to a lower resolution than what is by default being used in the editor? Refer to this post for information:

3) Also, if that does not resolve it, take a look at some of the other settings: 

• Thanks 1

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Finally able to point a finger on it: i was using Einlanders unity style settings launcher. Its a great tool i appreciate a lot.

The issue with it was i set terrain quality to high and everything looked great ingame. The next times i run the map i didnt pay attention to the launchers settings: terrain quality automatically switches to medium the second time and to low the third time.

Terrain quality set to low has indeed a massive impact to terrain texture quality... dooh

Thanks macklebee you made me build a test map and that really helped ...

The whole issue turned out to be more than helpful for me in many ways. i did learn a lot so thanks again for your patience.