2D Sprites in 3D world (Leadwerks suitable for this?)

Josh_727

Well, as the title suggest I have a concept for an RPG type project.  Trying to find out if LWE would be a possible option.

Graphically its really nice.  But can any 2D functionality be added to it?  Lua I would guess?

The idea I have in mind would be a JRPG (like the sprites in RPG Maker). Characters are 2D but the world is completely 3D.  There will be a 3rd person camera that follows behind a quad, the quad displays character animations accordingly.
As for the combat, you run into an enemy sprite and it sorta converts into a fighting game.  The camera locks to one axis to scroll side to side and you and the enemy fight (think the 2D mortal kombat games).  This would obviously require a gamepad for pc.

I'm still working on a video demo in blender of how this game will look (or what I'm shooting for at least).  But little did I know there's something already in development similar in appearance to it.  Its called Octopath Traveler (switch game).  As far as I can tell the 2 main differences between this and the RPG im planning is ...
1. The camera in Octo is locked at 4 axis just like Zelda.
2. The combat has the strategic turn-based mechanics of all the classic JRPGs like final fantasy.  Mine will be hack n slash/fighting, not menu driven combat.

I did google the wiki for Octopath and it uses UE4.  So that in mind I was thinking Leadwerks.  Nothing against unreal its just a little bloated with all its features.  And apparently not every PC supports it.

But yea, just looking for advice on this.  Any kind helps (that includes criticism) lol.  Thanks.

This next video demo more accurately demonstrates what I have in mind for my RPG.  Not the combat though just the basic look.

7 hours ago, gamecreator said:

First thing I would do is a stress test to see how Leadwerks handles hundreds of sprites at once, like a town scene with a bunch of characters animating and maybe a forest in the back (trees, bushes, grass).  Should be no problem but I don't know how optimized sprites are.

Thanks I'll try it.

4 hours ago, jen said:

Hmm it seems too specific. It's definitely doable but you will have to experiment since what you're creating is outside of the norm.

In addition gamemaster's post: I think you can create a shader to create instanced sprite. That will help out with the sprite population. 

I'm definitely going to look into the shader idea.  I think thats really the only way to do it.  It's probably going to take some tinkering around for a while to achieve all this.  But thanks for your reply :)