I know C++ and Lua but I have no idea where to go from there

tomis13lack

I know C++ and lua is really easy. When I say I know C++ quite well i mean in every way except practice. I have the C++ addon on steam and have no idea where to go from there. I am trying to make a multiplayer game. I saw the Connect, client, etc. from the api but have no idea how to implement them. Can anyone reference a tutorial or anything?

P.S. I have a Poweredge T410 with 2, 4 core Xeons and 96Gb of ram for this server - will that be good enough for ~64 players (a relatively simple first person shooter).

P.P.S. Linux compatibility is high on my priority list. Would I just copy + paste anything i do to windows, to linux for that?

5 hours ago, Thirsty Panther said:

Thank you. I would really like to know how to do an animated loading screen with C++ as this only tells you how to make a static loading screen with lua. Do you know what i could run as a condition to check to see if it is loading and create a loading screen if it is? For example:

while(isLoading()) {
	//some code to create the animated loading screen
}

5 hours ago, cassius said:

Some of the c++ examples in the api reference could get you started.

I can't see any c++ examples for networking. I see the syntax of the command and that is it. From there, i have no idea of where to go.

I know C++ but have no idea how to use it with leadwerks and not mess everything up. I don't even know where to begin if i want to add something to it. I can make a separate function but would have no idea how to set it up to be called. I do not know how to associate in game things with C++. Could anyone with a considerable amount of experience give me an example (even if just a small one) or a list of commands/classes/etc. that i will be using in leadwerks C++?

Here's my process for a new project:

Create a new blank project in the Editor in File->Project Manager.  It will create all the project files for you, including two source and one header file.  Open the generated SLN file to open the project in Visual Studio.  Remove the App.cpp and App.h files from the project.  You can now replace the contents of the main.cpp file with examples you find in the documentation (https://www.leadwerks.com/learn) which will help you with anything from loading maps to models to drawing images and text.