Animation, what is happening here? (Video)

Core

Hi again!

So, I started my first experiments with animations. Was doing progress, but encountered a problem I can't find an answer. I recorded a video. What is going on here? Animation is "working", but vastly different in Leadwerks! In video, animation displayed first like intended in Blender, then in Leadwerks.

Since you are making us guess by not providing the files in question, then my guess is that you haven't reset the transforms in blender prior to exporting for use in LE. Also, keep in mind that LE needs bones and keyframes that give position and rotation of those bones.

Edited by macklebee

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what you mean by resetting transforms, but I'm pretty sure my model is in "rest" pose when exporting. And yes, I'm using bones and key frames. Here are files for the second video example, Blender file and exported files! I would really appreciate if you could look in to them!

AnimationTest3_2.blend

AnimationTest3_2.mdl

AnimationTest3_2.mdl.xml

Material.mat

Oh, I actually understood what you ment by resetting transforms! It was one problem, the second one is how I make the object appear to be one single model instead of two separate ones. If I join them before exporting, the bone moves the whole object instead of just the door.

Ok, got it working now. Thank you very much for your help! It is now obvious, that one needs to have bone for static element too :) I did not realize that at first. Now, soon I will be animating giant robots with hundreds of bones in no time! :P

Working:

• Like 2

Not sure, but I guess it is more convenient to use script for big doors where your character needs to go through, considering collision boxes etc. But for small cabinets, cases, closets etc. I think I'm going to use animated objects.

But yes, I don't know is there any difference in performance.

10 hours ago, burgelkat said:

It may be a stupid question, but what is better for the performance: opening and closing a door with animation or using open close script?

Both are negligible but animation won't have any collision and the door script will.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

1 hour ago, Crazycarpet said:

Out of curiosity, wouldn't the door script be quite a bit better performance wise as the engine would be able to re-use the same vertex positions and normals of the mesh every frame where as the animated door needs to have the vertices of the mesh re-computed every frame?

Skinning is performed in the vertex shader. It’s basically free.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.