Better texture/image import !

imothep85

why not to change the actual system by something better and easier for all, inside leadwerks by default a texture folder has to exist, allways !!!

When the user install Leadwerks or run it he can just drag and drop files inside that folder and then Leadwerks convert every image to .tex wh ocan be directly used on 3d models by drag and drop.

Easier for every one, less work, less waste of time !!!!

There is a materials folder by default.

11 hours ago, imothep85 said:

When the user install Leadwerks or run it he can just drag and drop files inside that folder and then Leadwerks convert every image to .tex wh ocan be directly used on 3d models by drag and drop.

What you describe already happens.  However you need to make a material first. If you import a model with textures, material files are even created automatically. 

According to the documentation it should do this automatically, but there are some conditions:

......Notice how the oilbarrel already has the texture applied to it.  This is because the texture information of the model is stored inside the original FBX file. The FBX file knows the names of the textures to be applied to the model. Leadwerks automatically checks if there are any textures in the same folder and matches those with the information stored in the model. When there is a match, a material is automatically created. The material is also automatically attached to the model.  This is one of those little things that just makes life easier.

https://www.leadwerks.com/learn?page=Tutorials_Editor_Models-and-Animation

Can you check if you have the following:

• The fbx model references your texture.
  • That texture is in the same folder as you model.

well its teh case in 3ds max my model has textures fbx+textures are in the same folder, when i import the model inside leadwerks....its black... also i noticed something really impossible to me to understand when i move a light in the scene object doesnt get light and shadow from that light...

In that case, I would file a bug report because that should be happening automatically. Are you using Linux btw? Because the automatic mapping only works in windows.

As for not seeing any shadows. Open the material for your model. Is the Cast shadow option enabled? image.png.202a9bf2a3b489f7b4164343fa0c53d6.png

Open the properties tab for your entity, under the appearance tab set cast shadows to Dynamic.

appearance%20tab.png

thanks for your help so now i have the texture on my object, but i imported the diffuse, why the imported fbx, inside leadwerks doesnt use the bump map, the diffuse and specular maps by default???? i just have a diffuse, why when object imported leadwerks doesnt use the diffuse, specular, bump maps from 3ds max??  if i have to do this for every model i import its an enormous work and waste of time.

screenshot14.jpg

23 minutes ago, imothep85 said:

i just have a diffuse, why when object imported leadwerks doesnt use the diffuse, specular, bump maps from 3ds max??

I am not entirely understanding this question. Your diffuse texture is visible in the screenshot your provided but you are sayin it is not using it?

As for the bump and specular not automatically added to the material. I think Leadwerks uses a postfix to map bump and specular textures in a material. Try giving your textures the following names with a postfix:

• myTexture_diff
  • myTexture_dot3
  • myTexture_spec

now i understand how to import the textures, but why whn i import a fbx allready textured in 3ds max, why leadwerks doesnt understand the model has texture diffuse, bump, and specular for example??? why whe have to do this process for every texture, and the convert those textures to mats?

Leadwerks has to automatize this process!

Are you naming your texture files with _diff for diffuse, _dot3 for bump, and _spec for spec textures? If the filenames of your textures have those suffixes then Leadwerks should assign them automatically. It’s the only way Leadwerks can know what texture should go where.

of course lol my files are png or jpg, when import to leadwerks, files are renamed .tex, then i have to convert that to .mat and then only i can drop that on the object, but all this process it's a waste of time if the texturign is allready done in a 3d software why leadwerks doesnt understand object is mapped, and he has to show by default when the fbx is imported, it has to be visible with the textures.

when i import an fbx, its BLACK, then i have to reimport the textures, convert to mat and reapply to the object.

We are saying it should do that automatically for you with some correct settings and we are just trying to figure out why it’s not.

I thought you got the mat to auto generate? Are you saying you didn’t get the mat to autogenetate because that’ll be step one to figure out first. Without that the textures won’t be auto assigned

well i do this, in 3ds max i make a 3d model, then apply uvw and textures, i save everything, i rename the files for leadwerks.

then i drag and drop the fbx inside leadwerks and thats the result i get, something empty, i have to redo all the texture import myself. and in the properties of the object i have to chose what map to use for diffuse, bump and specular

but at teh moment i try and try again, i started at 9 this morning still the same problem, here its now 13h35

Not sure if you've kept LE open each time and just deleting the files to keep retrying but restart LE after deleting files and try maybe even importing into a different folder as a test. I've had LE do funny things when I delete a file and try to reimport it where it wouldn't see the new file change. Deleting the file then restarting LE and then reimporting seems to clear some in memory stuff LE must be doing. Just an idea to try.