Map Streaming

M0lD

If anyone here have used Source Engine or seen this asset from Unity, Map chunk Streaming sounds very cool.
And im sure you can make this with c++ or lua in the current Leadwerks(4.5)... But haveing it as native support
and selling point would be neet... As im intrested in makeing an semi open world game...

image.png.bbb112c61e0118aed92076ea714cd6f3.png
It works by exporting parts of the map into and chunk, and load it as the player is inside, aswell as the connected ones or more... I know that you can load maps onto other maps. but its currently not so useable. Sectr in unit also has support for unloading objects inside an Room.

oh, im makeing an space "dungeon like rooms" but premade... and then stream it. but unity feels to open and unspesific as an  engine. Testing this idea in Leadwerks and Source Engine i saw the both was suffering from big maps (170 Rooms+). but the addon for unity was running very nicely.

Leadwerks doesn't really allow "true" file streaming of maps. You'd have to mock this behavior. Main key would be to preload all assets once at the start otherwise an asset loaded for the first time will cause a delay but an already loaded asset "loaded" again will be almost instant since an instance is created vs going back to disk again. However loading map files will still cause a delay because of the amount of assets loaded in 1 iteration. You'd probably have to make your own map file and load the entities a few at a time per iteration to give a smooth loading experience that seems like it's multithreaded.

I don't plan on building this capability in because it cannot possibly support all the features of our maps or the engines, but if you are willing to disable some functionality I think it will be possible to write a plugin or some code that does this. For example, it would not be possible to stream in a level where a button on one side of the world operates a door on the other side of the world because the other side would not be loaded yet. But if your game does not need something like that then I think this will work.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.