Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Zelrio

A little adventure game I made for the tourney. Controls are explained in game.

Known Issues: Sometimes the game might crash when you pickup something. It seems like it's the sound that's causing it but it's random.

Future: My plan is to add time freezing that will help solve some puzzles to complete the levels.

View full game

• Like 1

Pretty good! Nice visuals and polish, other that the crash bug that I encountered as well. It seems to happen occasionally when i pick up the second coin on the bridge. Seems I encounter random crashes like this as well when using Release() unless I use AddRef() prior to the Release() . Maybe you need to AddRef()/Release() the audio sources as well?

Could you guys give this a try. It doesn't load any special sound for the game part (still does music though). Just curious if it's really the sound or not.This didn't crash for me at all and even the other way it rarely crashes for me, but you guys it sounds like get more crashes so hard for me to test.

Zelrio No Sound.zip

Man that's strange because the sounds are all loaded and played in the player script not the special entities (coins, star etc) so it's not like it's freeing the sound at the point of releasing those things. Is there only so many sounds that can be playing at a time? I noticed I used to play footstep sounds but that would cause it to crash for me more often and for Tj it crashes all the time, so almost like sound card dependent?

To help confuse you further, I just played both versions and neither crashed for me.  Only weird thing was that on the no sound version the monster didn't die properly (it fell but I could keep hitting it and it never fully died).

There's only 1 level to play, right?  I beat that one level with 3 stars and I only got the restart button and the menu button at the bottom.

Edit: I'm on Windows 7 SP1, GTX 970, though that probably doesn't matter.

There's only 1 level to play, right?  I beat that one level with 3 stars and I only got the restart button and the menu button at the bottom.

Yeah, that's all there is for now.

So you pushed him off the map? If so, I didn't account for that :). [EDIT] Oh you mean he fell over from "dying" but didn't really die I see. I do see you can keep hitting him but after a short time he should go away. Did he not go away? The keep hitting him part is a bug I'll have to fix.

34 minutes ago, Rick said:

So you pushed him off the map? If so, I didn't account for that :). [EDIT] Oh you mean he fell over from "dying" but didn't really die I see.

Ah yes, sorry, the latter.
Edit: I may have left him behind too fast after hitting him on the ground a bunch but just tried again and he disappeared and gave up the potion.

So, after putting some system prints in, it looks like it does get beyond the playing of the sound. I remove the entity inside the collision function and the system print on a crash showed it got all the way through so I'm guessing Le is using the entity that was passed into the collision function for a check or something sometimes and me releasing it must mess that up. So for a test I just hide the entities and I can't get it to crash after about 20 tries. Curious if it crashes for anyone else with hiding.

Zelrio Hide.zip

• 2 weeks later...

lol It's been awhile since I worked on that. Currently no it wasn't since it was my first game back in about 3-4 months of taking time off. I just started primitively and built off that but yes as I was coding it and adding more and more stuff to the player script I thought to myself I should get back into that because it would have worked out great for this game. It's fairly simple to migrate code to that structure though so I should look into that. Plus being away for awhile and using it again I will probably have some new insights for it.