Ubuntu 18.04 and Leadwerks

aiaf

Ubuntu 18.04 was just released and is a lts version i did a fresh install on my laptop.

So i can report Leadwerks is working well.

After installing a bunch of missing dependencies, got lots of errors on linking:

/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: Source/Libs/Leadwerks/Library/Linux/Debug/Leadwerks.a(dgCollisionChamferCylinder.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against symbol `_ZTV26dgCollisionChamferCylinder' can not be used when making a PIE object; recompile with -fPIC

The fix was to add in CXX_FLAGS -no-pie option. Dont know the details of this but solved the issue.

Cheers

• Thanks 2

I made this with Leadwerks/UAK:

Structura Stacky Desktop Edition

Binary Station

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A short while ago I post the libcurl issue on the Steam discussion with the title "Ubuntu 18.04 -> `CURL_OPENSSL_3' not found". Later I figured out a workaround, but it requires the Professional Edition DLC.

"Looks like a workaround has been found. If a project is opened up using the Leadwerks editor, and attempted to run it fails, due to the problem indicated above. However, if the project is opened up in Codeblocks, recompiled, and then reopened up in Leadwerks it will run as it should. This test was performed using Leadwerks 4.5 and requires the Profession Edition DLC."

SpEcIeS

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Leadwerks on a new install of Ubuntu 18.04 and it worked fine, except that it can't initialize graphics because I can't get the proprietary driver installed on my laptop.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

seem to remember you have nvidia mobile gpu or is that wrong

mobile graphic are a pain as lot of the time as the driver for full gpu dont have the mobile id in them to work

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

3 hours ago, aiaf said:

it always worked for me to install the proprietary drivers from ubuntu ui ..

if you have nvidia you could try to install driver manually:

https://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

That's what I did. Driver failed to install, now it won't boot.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Try looking up your model with Linux in the search. Usually there is somebody else trying to do the same thing.

To clarify, you got the driver from the repo or a Deb on the internet. The Nvidia package in the repo should have worked.

Then again, the computer was designed to run Windows but Nvidia is usually good about drivers.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Does anyone have a comment on this, rather than on my graphics drivers?:

On 12/23/2018 at 8:46 PM, Josh said:

I tried Leadwerks on a new install of Ubuntu 18.04 and it worked fine, except that it can't initialize graphics because I can't get the proprietary driver installed on my laptop.

The program launches just fine. When you start Leadwerks the first time, graphics are not initialized until a project is created. The fact that the program starts means all required libraries are present.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 2:52 PM, Josh said:

Since my Ubuntu install is now bricked I am not going to try it.

@Josh

Did you mess up your xorg.config?

Usually installing graphics drivers causes displays to get lost.

If you press Ctrl + Alt + F4 this will give you a command line login without GPU.

If you are still in Utah we can meet up some time so I can try to help you resolve it. Having an Ubuntu version of Leadwerks is important to me. 

• 1 month later...