Particle emitter flickering

Phodex Games

Hi I encountered a weird problem with my particle emitters using animated spritesheets. This is how it looks like:

As you can see it does work normally in the editor but ingame it has this weird flickering. I also have this behavior in the editor sometimes. It seems to appear randomly. In the editor, the flickering can mostly be fixed by disabling and enabling the emitter or by decreasing the particle count to 1 and then increasing it again to 2: I think this problem appears when changing graphic settings, as sometimes ingame it also works. It even happens that one emitter of the same kind works and another not.

The sprite sheet image settings:

Bug_03.PNG.4c8c23ff62c34067e94245dc5ef65683.PNG

The Sprite sheet:

Spritesheet.thumb.PNG.4b3a67ce336cd4662330e6ee779182c9.PNG

Here the emitter settings:
Bug_01.PNG.693002d8f86f27058375f96f6d84125f.PNG

Bug_2.PNG.0728891624bedc7fa459252d3b34540d.PNG

I tried the default and the smoothanimation shader for the emitter material. So what could cause this problem? This is one of the last bugs in my project and I would be gald to fix it soon :) Thanks for you input as always.

im not sure if it is what causes your problem.
but i tested my own spritesheet (5x5) which works fine on animation cycles 1.
but when i set my animation cycles to 2 i get some weird empty frames.

try setting your aniimation cycles to 1 and see if that helps any

Hmm no that does not work unfortunately, I only activated it in hope it would fix the issue maybe, but its still there, even in editor atm. Its weird because sometimes it just works and I changed nothing, seems to be some kind of bug :(. Maybe I have to use fire without animated spritesheet now.

• Like 1

It seems that this gets caused if I do graphic changes ingame (for example adding/removing Post Effects). I therefore created a routine which resets the emitters (tried reset and pause/play), but still this happens. It even occurs with emitters without spritesheet, then there is no flicker, but the emitter bursts all particles at once which looks weird as well. Overall I have to say the emitters behave very unpredictable most of the time.

I recently found out that all this seems to get cause by the Time updating (one reason for the error seems to be stopping Time:Update() from getting called in the main loop), still I could not 100% fix this issue, still there is flickering, in the editor and ingame. I really want to fix it its literally the last thing I need to solve before the release version is finished.