Windows access rights and leadwerks game

Phodex Games

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

Hi,

so the final version of my project is ready and I want to release it. It also works fine on my computer, will also test it in my laptop as well. But on my friends PC there are some problems. It crashes without any error when changing options in the game menu (as it is using a file read/write command accessing a lua data file inside the game directory). It works if he starts the game as administrator, but then the game crashes with an "programm not working" error message from windows, when loading the first gameplay map. This could also be fixed by setting "Always start as administrator" to true in the exe settings. But I cannot expect from the user that he enables admin mode by manual in order to play the game, can I?

So how can I handle this issue? Should i just set the exe to "run as admin" by default and deliever this with my installer? Does this even work? Or does windows reset this, especially if the files are packed into an installer file. Or do I need any kind of security certificate for releasing software on windows? I have not much experience on this subject.

• Solution

By default you can only access files in the user appdata or documents paths. This is where any files should be written to. This is not a Leadwerks thing, it is just how Windows works.

• Thanks 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.