Size of a character?

Yue

Because of hard-coded character physics cylinder, your character model should be shorter than 1.7m and 60 cm in diameter. when your character is bigger than that, his limbs or head maybe go through object like walls and ceiling etc.

Hope character physics capsule with adjustable size will be there in LE5 (I mean Turbo)

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, tipforeveryone said:

Because of hard-coded character physics cylinder, your character model should shorter than 1.7m and 60cm in diameter. when your character is bigger than that, his limbs maybe go through object like walls and props etc.

Hope character physics capsule with adjustable size will be there in LE5 (I mean Turbo)

That is to say, that there will not be that update in Leadwerks 4 ??, it is really painful. Then the character you make will never be able to crouch since that update is only for TEG (Turbo Engine Game).

me-haces-llorar.gif

Just so we're clear, yes, you can animate your character to duck and to crawl and whatnot.  That's not a problem.  It's just that Leadwerks pathfinding/navigation doesn't support a smaller character controller so you can't crawl under things like a truck.  But even this you could code yourself if you really needed to.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, gamecreator said:

Just so we're clear, yes, you can animate your character to duck and to crawl and whatnot.  That's not a problem.  It's just that Leadwerks pathfinding/navigation doesn't support a smaller character controller so you can't crawl under things like a truck.  But even this you could code yourself if you really needed to.

With the current character controller you cannot bend the character. I understand that I can create the animated character crouching, however it will not enter through a smaller door than the character controller. 

Crouching can be done,
Crouching + jumping into pipes/windows/vents can be done.
Crouching under things like trucks can be done.
Crouching up stairs with bypassing the 8cm height step limit can be done.

You have to code around the hardcode and overwrite it by being creative, this is a test we made in about 6 hours of coding.  We used glass/mirrors and made it appear to have altered the hardcode with lua coding.  In reality, its just a work around.

• Confused 1

Just now, Yue said:

Defranco Are you using the character controller?

Yes, using the FPS character controller included in Leadwerks, then took codes out of the third person player controller in the workshop, combined them then coded a bunch of new lines and changed a few things so they could work together (using a toggle), then coded the rest of what you see in the video

• Like 1

Defranco is correct and I am not sure why this keeps getting stated that crouching is not available?? For some flarking reason it is not officially supported and you have to take care of the animation, the movement/position of the camera, and understand the crouch height limit (1.2m), but it works. I think people are assuming since the visual representation of the physics body does not change shape when crouched that the actual physics body did not change shape. In LE2 days, the visual also changed when crouched.

• Upvote 1

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

1 hour ago, gamecreator said:

That's good to know.  Do you know if it also works with GoToPoint and Follow, taking holes like the ones in Defranco's video into consideration?

Are you talking about whether or not the navigation system will create a navmesh in an area for crouching? Not inherently due to the restriction built into the navmesh creation. But you can always get around that by being creative on what entities have their navigation mode set to true when you are building your scene. In my example above with the 3 boxes, I would set the ground and the two vertical boxes' navigation mode to true and not the horizontal. This would allow for a navmesh to be built under the box.

crouchnavmesh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

macklebee's channel

2 hours ago, gamecreator said:

Ah yes.  So an enemy told to go from one side to another would try to go down the middle.  And I guess in C you'd have to set his character controller to crouch mode with SetInput once he gets to the area.

Exactly. Use triggers to toggle crouch. Could do the same for the player as well so the user doesn't even have to do it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

macklebee's channel