Saving and Map files

Slimwaffle

I am working on a survival crafting game. I found a script that saves tables and stuff to be loaded later.

But because the game is crafting and the player creates entities. I was wondering if there is a way to save the current state of the world in a map file?

The reason I ask is because I can see in the API the option to load map files but not to save them.

I mean I am open to suggestions at this stage on how to save all the entities and locations of entities all at once. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You do not want to have the actual map file, rather snapshot the current values of a point in time and have the game reload all that information upon a restart.

The best save system imo is with Source Engine games in which everything is saved, but most other games just worry about player data and npc count.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

Ok I got Rick's Save and Load from Workshop. I got it working now by Disabling Sandbox. Because with Sandbox enabled you can't write to file.

I don't even know what Sandbox is. Can someone please explain this to me? Because I am intending to release on steam and the only information I found said steam won't let you use a game with sandbox disabled.

A long time ago, there was an app on Steam called The Leadwerks Game player. It's goal at the time was to allow people to upload their lua games to an audience without going through Greenlight at the time. The app used the workshop system to achieve this. In order for this to work, Valve required that no games should be able to modiy the users system to prevent malicious code, hence why sandbox mode was created.

Although cool, the app bombed. Sandbox mode is a relic of that time and just gets in the way these days. You don't need to really worry about this when it comes to publishing as a stand alone app id.

• Like 1

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!