GDC 2019

Josh

I am tentatively planning to have a booth at GDC 2019. I'll probably go for the next bigger size this time, 20x10 feet. Here's what I am thinking:

• One computer set up with a Vive showing two VR demos. A television will mirror the VR display so people can see what is happening.
    • One demo of NASA stuff
    • One game demo.
  • Displays for a few Leadwerks games to be played.
  • Paper brochures, handouts.
  • Some kind of background / display / structure

The point of this will be to point people to a website that will collect email addresses for the Turbo beta.

For the VR game demo, I am thinking something like Doom showing a large number of enemies, with an environment that has a lot of white with reflective parts of metal, in order to show off the reflections and GI. I would like to do a chainsaw in VR. Or maybe we will do a modern city with hundreds of zombies. I don't know, I just want something that shows GI off and shows a complex scene running at super fast framerates. I want either rainy streets or blood puddles, so there are lots of reflections.

This mostly depends on having the content ready in time. So that is what will determine whether this happens.

OR0252-4.thumb.jpg.7b14bc21a850352526e3a74991f070e2.jpg

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

At this point, do you think Turbo be ready to be developed for or you plan to show and release Leadwerks with the new forward rendering system? 

I hope VR is improved in the engine and has a few more features at this point. I was playing around with it with my Rift and it was quite a chore to develop for. Not sure if this goes for the Vive. 

Oh, one thing you can also do is show all this running on Linux. Not many options have a native Linux editor and tools. ?

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

1 hour ago, reepblue said:

At this point, do you think Turbo be ready to be developed for or you plan to show and release Leadwerks with the new forward rendering system? 

I hope VR is improved in the engine and has a few more features at this point. I was playing around with it with my Rift and it was quite a chore to develop for. Not sure if this goes for the Vive. 

Oh, one thing you can also do is show all this running on Linux. Not many options have a native Linux editor and tools. ?

I expect at that point only the C++ programming library will be available. The goal is to show off some demos and make a clear statement that there is a new engine and why people should care. Then next year we have an even bigger presence.

What is difficult about developing VR with Leadwerks?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If there is an editor and C++ is more of a focus, I see it as "functional enough for development."

With VR in Leadwerks today, there seems to be less control with the API than other options. No rotation support, can't change the controllers, idk how to hide the sensors, and my previous bug report.

I also got random screen issues with the right eye. Best way to describe it it's like being half way underwater but it's vertical. When you are near your VR setup again, let me know, I'll send over the project. Could be AMD also, idk.

And with the Rift, Steam VR keeps crashing randomly; taking Leadwerks and Steam with it but that's really not your fault.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

I think it will be possible to use the existing editor with the new engine. The graphics won't look exactly the same, but it will be usable until the new editor comes. So I probably won't do that in-between step I was talking about.