Metal / Roughness together or separate?

Josh

Hey, Josh. Here's an idea for you. I was watching a video on a game engine that is about to be released (Sheesh! There are zillions of them these days!) and the reviewer showed importing a glTF model into the engine via drag-n-drop (which is a nice feature, btw). When they dropped in the glTF, an import dialog opened. Earlier in this thread you had talked about wanting to use glTF just to bring in materials. Well, perhaps this could be done via an import dialog. So, for example, the end-user opens or drags-n-drops a glTF into Leadwerks, an import dialog opens and asks what they want to import ... model, material, etc. The end-user could just check/uncheck what they want (the default being all checked). 

Thoughts?

Creating professional 2D and 3D content is my passion!
Monkey Frog Studio

31 minutes ago, Argent Arts said:

Hey, Josh. Here's an idea for you. I was watching a video on a game engine that is about to be released (Sheesh! There are zillions of them these days!) and the reviewer showed importing a glTF model into the engine via drag-n-drop (which is a nice feature, btw). When they dropped in the glTF, an import dialog opened. Earlier in this thread you had talked about wanting to use glTF just to bring in materials. Well, perhaps this could be done via an import dialog. So, for example, the end-user opens or drags-n-drops a glTF into Leadwerks, an import dialog opens and asks what they want to import ... model, material, etc. The end-user could just check/uncheck what they want (the default being all checked). 

Thoughts?

That makes it just another transfer format. I am talking about using it as the official file format. There would be no import / conversion it would just be loaded as-is.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

That makes it just another transfer format. I am talking about using it as the official file format. There would be no import / conversion it would just be loaded as-is.

Got ya. So, you are thinking of replacing MDL and TEX with glTF then.

Monkey Frog Studio

1 minute ago, Argent Arts said:

Got ya. So, you are thinking of replacing MDL and TEX with glTF then.

I don't think they have any texture format yet, but I saw an announcement Khronos is working on it. So yeah, then I would probably. Any extra info from our engine can be stored in the "extra" node in the format, which is exactly what it was put there for.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, BTW.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I don't think they have any texture format yet, but I saw an announcement Khronos is working on it. So yeah, then I would probably. Any extra info from our engine can be stored in the "extra" node in the format, which is exactly what it was put there for.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, BTW.

Sure. No worries. Anything I can do to help.

Monkey Frog Studio

I think we will probably use GLTF for models and maybe materials, and then load image, DDS, and KTX files directly. A JPG texture is going to be slower-loading than a DDS texture, but it is convenient and if you want the extra loading performance you can use DDS.

A converter will be used to convert all MDL and TEX files into these formats.

I would definitely allow glTF to import BOTH models and textures, else you sort of defeat the purpose of glTF. It is, after all, a SCENE export/import format, importing geometry, materials, lights, animation, etc. With glTF, I can set up an entire scene in my modeling program, comprised of many models, many materials, several lights, etc., and export the entire scene in one shot. Or, if I choose, I can just export out a single model. It's up to me. So, glTF would be great for creating level prefabs, consisting of wall and floor segments (for example), etc. There's not much sense, as far as I'm concerned, to only use glTF to import models and then have the end-user have to import the materials separately and apply them afterward. 

Monkey Frog Studio

I restructured the model and texture loading code and now I have a system that can load TEX or PNG files, and it is simple to add support for additional file formats.

18 minutes ago, Josh said:

I restructured the model and texture loading code and now I have a system that can load TEX or PNG files, and it is simple to add support for additional file formats.

That's exciting! I can't wait to test this. I love working with glTF because it just simplifies a lot of what I do.

Monkey Frog Studio