How to use the available material shaders?

Phodex Games

Hi,

sorry if this question was asked already, or it there is any information around, but I did not find it. So I wonder how to use the available material shaders ( I mean the emission, env, parallax & tessellation shaders)

image.png.4452bf44d3d72bf78820939f0cfd26a4.png

There unfortunately is not much said about them in the documentation. So I wonder how to use them and what they do. I know a little bit about some of the effects, but I would appreciate a explanation. I think I could make use of some to improve the visuals of my game. I would be grateful if you could help me out :)

Also what about them:

image.png.a460b48c7a827c96ccf35faf0a2aaec1.png

Emission is just nothing but a glowing texture. The transparent and transparent_masked shaders can be used to do a filter that discards 50% of the pixels and makes things look sort of transparent with the deferred renderer. This works best when MSAA is enabled.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Emission is pretty easy to use. It is set up to use texture slot #4. The texture you create should be all black for the areas you don't want to emit. You can use any color for the areas you do want emission and they will glow that color. Well, they don't really "glow", but instead do not receive any shadows and are full-bright in those areas (i.e. not affected by your lighting or lack thereof). But you can make some cool effects with it.

• Thanks 1

Creating professional 2D and 3D content is my passion!
Monkey Frog Studio

5 hours ago, Argent Arts said:

You can use any color for the areas you do want emission

Ok thank you :) I tried it and it works, but is there a way to increase the radius/intensity of the emission?

@Josh Thank you, good to know! I found the tessellation_example.mat which explains this shader so now I only need to know about how to use the parallax and env (which stands for enviorment map I guess) shader. Some example materials like the tessellation example for those would be a good idea I guess.

1 minute ago, Phodex Games said:

Ok thank you :) I tried it and it works, but is there a way to increase the radius/intensity of the emission?

I am not a programmer and don't play one on TV ;) , so I don't know if there actually is a way or not. From what I've seen, the only thing you can do with this shader is determine the color. It appears that all this does is ensure the area is not affected by light at all (no shadows, no being overpowered by bright lights, etc.), so the color shows at 100%. This means it does not glow, so there would be no radius or intensity. The only way I can think of to affect intensity would be by the color you use. You could paint the area to look brighter toward the center, for example.

Again, I am not a programmer, so I can (so far) only approach this as an artist.

Creating professional 2D and 3D content is my passion!
Monkey Frog Studio