World background

aiaf

31 minutes ago, gamecreator said:

Since there are several people who want to design maps and we don't know how fast we'll get things done, it does make sense to make them individual, smaller scenes.

We could technically go from level to level.  Slastraf, is there a particular reason you want an extra hub world?  Seems like that effort could be put toward creating another playable level.

Yes, actually because then the player can choose freely where he wants to go and what he wants to unlock. It takes away the open world part of an rpg and still leaves the freedom and sense of achievement, because throughout the game there are items to be collected. Otherwise it would be a chain of levels and be more like an action game.

That first picture is a big map relative to what we would be able to do. I know it's not big in the sense of today's AAA type games but that is a big highly detailed map for sure and would take way to long for us. I know you weren't saying do that specifically but I'm just pointing out anything like that I think would take too long and is too detailed.

To me that looks like a more world hub map because it has such different zones. I can imagine clicking on each zone to load in just that specific part. That actual map is probably still too detailed for a world hub map but the idea of having very different biomes like that does makes it a good world map I think. 

The red circles would show entire clickable areas that load that specific map. This world map would be way less detailed and low poly but get the point across of the drastically different areas that you can load. Perhaps we could have fog on the entire map but the first one you can do doesn't have fog. Then after you do it we can decide on 1 or more to remove the fog. If the fog is set in a way then we can expand as much as we want without having to decide right up front how many areas to have.

WorldHub.png.c1f6c1ce8a25d39ddd8d6a24494f1fd8.png

• aiaf unpinned this topic