Main character

aiaf

Choices about main character.

What model we use ?

Its like a wizard/witch ? human or something else ? (orc/dwarf/monster/dragon)

Maybe choosing something out of the ordinary could help our game.

And add something to lore , drunken wizard ? and he keep searching for drinks and spell dont work very well if not drunk, but this will be hard to do model wise.

I made this with Leadwerks/UAK:

Structura Stacky Desktop Edition

Binary Station

Do we have anyone who can model a low poly wizard and animate it as well? I don't think it needs to be perfect or even really good honestly. With this style it can be pretty blocky. We just need something instead of trying for perfection.

If he's going to have a wand he shoots thing out of I think some kind of wizard is ideal. From there as far as lore goes I'll let others think about that. I'm not a big lore guy myself.

We can grab something from here: https://sketchfab.com/search?features=downloadable&q=wizard&sort_by=-pertinence&type=models

or here: https://sketchfab.com/search?features=downloadable&q=mage&sort_by=-pertinence&type=models

or any other search you may like (that's free and downloadable).  If you guys like something, I'll download and animate it, unless we have an artist on the team.

I like those too.  I was also just looking through other sites (checking one more after this).  Two more options:

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/rigging-gnome-3d-model-1194853

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/toon-witch-126942

And yes, the licenses are below the download button, in the description for the sketchfab ones (CC Attribution).

Can we use this one license ok , is in proper style but it doesnt have animation:

https://sketchfab.com/models/2bee14d9fbf649d28ba20aad3e0c6790

You guys ok with this ?

Wort case scenario we could use it like that no animation and animate just rotation from code.

• Like 1

Binary Station

OK, I'll animate that one.  I'll start with the basics first: idle, run, jump, cast (like shooting a fireball from the hand), hit and death.  The good news is that it's solid colors so we can easily make different colored wizards if we want (red versus blue, for example).  I'm also going to need to educate myself on how to upload to bitbucket (though I don't mind sharing files here).

• Like 1

I think we should think carefully about third person and even needing a character, at this stage.  I think it is one of those things where you are potentially opening yourself up to a lot of extra work.

Don't get me wrong, nice to see some of the things that have come out so far but I would urge against pursing these things too far at this stage.

Game mechanics and some sort of unique and interesting theme is the thing that I'd like to see some meat on the bones of at the minute. Would really like to avoid this game being to wander around a low poly map as generic cute wizard doing generic cute wizard things. 

I'd rather wander around some CSG brushes with no character (first-person) as long as there is something interesting to do there.

I'd suggest keep the theme loose and abstract and be just enough to drive some mechanics, but not get hung up on being a story quest. Instead let mechanics and combination of mechanics allow you to sort of live it instead.

Imo we still hammering basic stuff, want something we can build on.

For now we have to have a first map and character to just walk around, hope we do this by end of weekend.

This will answer a lot of questions that now are not clear.

Then we can invent some mechanics , i think the theme of island world in the sky can bring some unique ideas.

Here is one idea for interesting mechanic:

there are some small magic creatures on the island, they are the source of magic , a wizard can cast spells only in cross proximity to them, and they wonder around  and can be killed

Im pretty sure we can come up with some cool stuff

Binary Station

• 1 month later...

Added Guardian character as a place holder for the wizard character. Since our progress is being slowed because we have nothing to build on.

I made this using Fuse and Mixamo. This is the first time I've used this pipeline since Adobe has taken over. It was a trying process but hopefully is has produce a serviceable character.

The character is a athletic female and has several basic animations. Walk, Idle, running, death as well as some attacking animations including a punch, a sword and a spell animation. 

Happy to add other animations if required.

Is there an issue here with high-poly character with low-poly design choice for world?  

Our reason for low-poly was (I think) partly to make sure modelling was quicker and more practical for us to do.  It's a good choice for these reasons, even letting us get away with vertex colours for terrain if we wanted to.

Having said that.  I think that if we did want to go higher poly - by which I mean a bit higher res and proper texture maps - then that might be a possibility within what I think we're capable of though it probably would extend the time it takes.

Sorry guys, I didn't intend the Guardian model to derail the low poly theme we have.

As I stated it is just a place holder as GameCreator can't finish the Wizard.

I want us to keep the low poly feel for all the reasons we have stated previously.

Apologies also because I thought I had already added it to the repository. I will fix this.

• aiaf unpinned this topic