Game Design

mdgunn

I am hoping to have a first release of the design doc tomorrow.  I will then probably add in some more detail after that if it makes sense.

As part of this I've been considering some possible levels and wanted a little screenshot of what I meant for the doc so I've gone ahead and rapidly thrown together a number of small prototype maps in Leadwerks. Not in repo yet.  These will just be the absolute minimum in presenting the level but could possible be used as a start point to prototype the mechanics before putting in place a larger more complex and complete version and integrating this into the terrain. 

So these areas may well be integrated finally into only 2 or 3 larger island maps but for prototyping I think the areas should be kept separate so there there is more choice to work on without having to work on same files and also so it loads quick and also screen clutter is minimal.

Current prototype maps....3 need to be implemented yet. The others are roughed in.

prototype_maps.png.d119b81c20fcb9a0df0417149d3ef108.png

Some prototype maps....

excavation.thumb.jpg.ec3a6b8f24a24baa6629de6f23ea1e23.jpg

Crypt exit/excavation site.

cliffs.thumb.jpg.757342355c6c3c6782b0b1e01f34f9f7.jpg

Cliff traversal to air-ship station.

air-ship-station1.thumb.jpg.7fb9ff537b1029a4bb3ca3388a893324.jpg

air-ship station departure.

• Like 1

Ok so will have some arcade mechanics also on the island, this is good, cheers.

Want to propose some other levels (a command center room, engine room etc) , where island(ship) functions will be available.

I can take care of this after you put the design document draft.

I made this with Leadwerks/UAK:

Structura Stacky Desktop Edition

Binary Station

Yeah this set seemed about minimal to get some sort of progression through a few areas. The areas would not be the size indicated, and might be contain none of the screenshot concept in the end. It is more to indicate theme. 

I think only about 3-4 sub areas should be worked on to start with so new levels can be suggested and put in doc but we probably need to choose 3-4 to work on.  If we actually get 1 or 2 done fast and progress is good then maybe we expand a list quickly but until we get ANY done I don't see any point committing to a long list. 

I would say these sub-levels should be rapidly built out CSG based levels (not 3D software) plus simple objects (ideally just CSG to avoid tinkering on models) plus scripts.  CSG objects mean the level is accessible for all should someone go off radar. If someone ever works on what should be someone elses level then they should work on a copy and in general this should be avoided but due to communications I think waiting for someone to respond before you can try an idea out is probably not the way to go.  If someone wants to go 3D software for level design then fair enough as something done is better than something not but they should bear in mind that having a half done level in some software that requires a license is not a good thing and not accessible for someone not competent  with that software or 3D modelling in general.

I was thinking that people could pick an area and do what they want with it and that each area would probably have a slightly different mechanic that may be implemented there (before other areas).  E.g. a deserted village might contain some documents to read for background or quest info so need a 'view document' function and perhaps which we may choose to implement here .

We can probably set up a vote on sub areas and mechanics and people can pick an area and mechanic to work on perhaps.  

When I get this design doc draft done (hopefully tonight or tomorrow ) then we can consider more how to proceed.

I think that initially we should to make a game as if it was 'chapter 1'. I think for the initial draft of the doc I will think of it like that.  The other way would have been to try to plan out a full story arc and then we only pick to implement some of it. Perhaps start middle end but I think better to have our start, middle and end as only the start of something bigger. 

I think we should not give too much away even otherwise I think we're going to get hung up on backstory and story arc and people probably having different opinions on it.  If we meet a boss character then we should not necessarily try to make it a final boss but think of it more as a chapter end boss.  I don't know if anyone has actually implemented a decent boss fight in a game but I see this as a major hurdle. 

Personally I think I'd be find with a game that didn't conclude in a boss fight. I may mention it in the draft doc but I REALLY REALLY REALLY think we have to prove we can deliver even a SINGLE decent area that we ourselves want to play before we get hung up on the bigger picture. I think we do not worry too much about a boss fight until we have something very good in place.  If  the bits before the boss fight aren't engaging then nobody is going to get to the boss fight.

Agree with csg based for the sublevels.

I didnt even thinked of a boss :)

Maybe first sublevel is an arcade type of thing, jumping around , move some objects to be able able to get to some places, activating some switches and escape to the island.

Story example:

Guardian is awakened and dont remember why all is quiet (setting inside the monolith).

Wonder around, find some ancient scrolls from which you get info about the game story and start to remember things (maybe do voice here).

Then meteor strikes and you must escape to the island.

I made this with Leadwerks/UAK:

Structura Stacky Desktop Edition

Binary Station

Getting near the end of the doc now.  I expect to have it done by the end of tomorrow.  

The first version may well just be the start and I'm sure won't reflect exactly what has been said on the forums. In the end it more than likely closely resembles my own thoughts more than others so others will have to assist in pulling it back in their preferred direction by raising comments (probably in the forum) and we can revise from there. After only a few days it will of course be only a set of rough ideas and there will likely be many issues as you'd expect in a hastily written document born in a soup of various peoples ideas.  

I expect I should have a version tomorrow with the only thing stopping me publishing probably would be that I might feel another days thought makes it easier and clearer to understand. I'll aim for tomorrow (night - UK).

Current Table of Contents Looks like this...

toc.png.e380850c0c7248d6182b9885e739f64c.png

• Like 2