Final(ish) Design Doc

mdgunn

004(Forth) - Game Design Document_v0.0.2b.pdf

NOTE: This doc IS on google docs but I don't know how things work out with multiple people editing. Probably fine but not really done it. If anyone wants access to work on the doc I can open it up or we stick it in repo.

Here is the final(ish) design doc.   It could be taken further and loads more time could be spend to detail all assets etc. but I don't think that is necessarily the way to go with this. Think we probably need to just have a few ideas in writing so we can firm up our own ideas of what we want to work on (even if it's not in the doc) and evolve from there.

Some things probably fee a bit incomplete.  I've just tried to get some ideas down really.  I could list a load more weapons or enemies but I don't think it's necessary as long as we have SOME thoughts down to think around.

If people want a radically different story or radically different anything then fine by me.  The story has ended up quite a lot more sci-fi than I intended and much less magical so others could make suggest how they want to bring the magic back if need be.  I just followed where my decisions seemed to take me.

I tried to throw a few things together so they at least made some sort of sense to me so I could reach an end point with the doc, but if we want to bring things back to purer fantasy or something completely different then fine.  I think we are still in a place where we could change things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • aiaf pinned this topic

I figure it out how to integrate the level im working now with the document without changing much.

So this new level will be first (lets call it The Trials or something).

The story will be the hero is still in the cryo chamber but about to be woken up, and the first level is a simulation in his brain.Created to prepare him for the awakening from cryo room.

And the goal is to test hero is still sane and activate the main island computer.Or something like that.

So the cryo room will remain the same, someone can start to implement that if they want.

I made this with Leadwerks/UAK:

Structura Stacky Desktop Edition

Binary Station

I will consider blocking out the cryo room.  The things I expect in the room will be something like this (not fixed - but ideas at the minute):

1. 4 cryo storage caskets (1 open/deployed, others embedded in wall still) (labelled 001, 002, 003, 004 - 004 deployed)
  2. 4 lockers (labelled 001, 002, 003, 004)
  3. wall mounted display showing picture suggesting arc of incoming activation sphere (wakes up the non-staff cryo war faction humanoids if it enters ship and completes it's activation).
  4. Viewing window in raised area at end of room (can see falling meteor spheres from here and also escape ship with flashing light to draw attention - I think maybe this should be early goal to reach this ship but by having to go long way via surface exit and back down via other route, or edge of island/ship).
  5. Ceiling mounted tube to deliver incoming sphere as part of leading on to next room.
  6. Info table/computer  has some further images showing more info such as alarm in progress or maybe button to turn it off.
  7. Locker 004 contains tablet computer for finding out backstory and first mission steps.

Blocked something out in Blender (just to test the 2.8 beta). Will return to Leadwerks for further blocking out I expect.

cryo_room.thumb.png.da616ad2bce4be9418e882905b794b43.png

• Like 3

Im done with main mechanic for the first level , mostly.

Player can input data to the monolith (aka computer) in a strange way :) (using the gates and terminal) I still have to implement the commands

See if you figure it out with current in game descriptions.

Also computer could ask you questions. And you will answer and input the data with the system above.

For example it will ask what is the fifth fibonacci number or logic questions.

Still to do.

• Like 2

Binary Station

The monolith now has some more interaction with player.

For example if you use Push data from terminal i assume the player understand how to make inputs and i update the reader from monolith:

"Good, you pushed some data into the command buffer.\n  I need you to fully activate my systems asap\n Input the following activation command: \n\n N 1 S 1 E 0 W 0 U 0 D 0 \n\n Come back when is done."

After you put the monolith online, the behavior of the gates changes.Now its like there are 4 rooms around the central one.Only the east gate is open in the commit i made.

The funky part is how i implemented this , i only have one map :) and i hide models, rotate,translate the camera so you have the impression you entered another room.

You can see this in script TriggerMapMutation.lua

My plan is to add more dialogs(tasks) with the monolith then I will start to polish things up.

• Like 1

Binary Station

Well i added another commit with more dialogs.

Have a play need feedback.I need to know if you manage to exit the level.Or you get stuck etc Any other problems.

Can some of you improve/correct the dialogs?  (english is not my main language).

Mdgun if have the time would be great to have a description of this level added to the design document.Lets call it "The Trials" should be first level.When you exit you wake up in the cryo room.

Some of the things needed for this room:

1.monolith dark texture with 004 on it

2. gate model 

3.terminal to put on Wall

4.small tablet

5.room textures

6.a table model

7.some nice light environment

Binary Station

Haven't had much time this week but I'm planning to assemble a few props in the cryo room which would probably overlap with what you mentioned.  E.g. 

-terminal to put on Wall

-small tablet

-a table model

Plus others.

Take care getting sucked into model and texture details at this point.

OK.... I will get look at throwing together some quick low poly models (mostly grey but maybe with some colour accents) as follow:

• terminal/screen to put on Wall.
  • small tablet
  • large table (possible integrated screen)
  • small table
  • monolith with '004' on.
  • simple couch (surely people sit down in space ships right)
  • simple stool
  • cyro pod
  • storage crate
  • small cupboard
  • locker

All items will initially be dumb (e.g. the screen isn't going to be setup to allow an image at this point).  I don't expect they will be great either.  I will just spend a few mins on each probably.

Also....in the mean time consider that any object can be mocked up as CSG prefab with pivots and using this method when the model is dropped into the prefab and the CSG removed from prefab then all COPIES of the prefab that had CSG will get the model in the updated prefab.   At the minute a lack of a model should not really prevent progress with mechanics.

I will set a loose target of tomorrow night to get all the items listed above done.  May not be possible, we'll see. If there are any others add them in though as if I get on a roll then I might be able to get a good set done. 

I will add them to Trello later I think. 

Going too far with models could be a big mistake if we try don't use CSG as a first proving stage. On the other hand I think I would like to see a single room (even if it was not actually in the game) that represents the look of what the inside of the ship would be like.  This would then be useful to monitor performance of a full room with lighting etc.  Such a room should not be the same room that we are trying to make a playable level at this early stage as it becomes a big time loss loading up the more complex room. Could be a COPY of a planned room but preferably not the room you load up to develop against.  I will look into this test room, probably based on the cryo room. I will probably use it as somewhere to test stage props.

Will see how far I get by tomorrow night. I will try to upload what I have then.  I'll try and do the ones you mentioned first aiaf but if there are objects that are similar I may do those so I can reuse an existing mesh etc.

I forget:

Some kind of teleport pad, to replace the 4 cubes now in level.This one be same size as default editor cube.

A pedestal with a book on it.Want to use this to access library in second room.

A flashlight model i want to pick from ground.

This weekend ill do some more stuff on first level.

Binary Station

Are you thinking this area would be similar to the rest of the ship and so sci-fi in style. Some of these objects sound a bit non-sci-fi, which is fine - just trying to know what to go for..  Just wondering with the book on pedestal.  Would they still have books, maybe this is an old book artifact? 

I thought about it and think is not a good idea to reveal too much of the background story from beginning.

So this is the end level dialog (in library room) :)

LibraryDialog = {
    ["11"] = {speaker = "Aldrin", text = "Greetings i was expecting your arrival. \nIm the librarian and here to brief and guide you.", navButtonType = "Continue", choices={}, func = nil},
    ["21"] = {speaker = "Aldrin", text = "Radiation alarm!!!!! \n\nSystem failure detected, fault correction subsystem active.\n Library system severely affected.\n Implement physical backup procedure.", navButtonType = "Continue", choices={}, func = nil},
    ["31"] = {speaker = "Aldrin", text = "My databanks are beeing destroyed,\n the Monolith is doing damage control but all systems seem affected", navButtonType = "Continue", choices={}, func = nil},
    ["41"] = {speaker = "Aldrin", text = "I dont know how much time till my core systems will be destroyed, \n i suspect we dont have much time.", navButtonType = "Continue", choices={}, func = nil},
    ["51"] = {speaker = "Aldrin", text = "Pitty i didnt have a human in here for a long time...", navButtonType = "Continue", choices={}, func = nil},
    ["61"] = {speaker = "Aldrin", text = "I dont have the time to explain,\n we were suppose to spend couple of months here for the learning process.", navButtonType = "Continue", choices={}, func = nil},
    ["71"] = {speaker = "Aldrin", text = "Pay attention!\n i know is confusing for you. im uploading the data to a small terminal near cryo room 004.\n Remember this!", navButtonType = "Continue", choices={}, func = nil},
    ["81"] = {speaker = "Aldrin", text = "I dont want to die... protect ..fdsrfdsfd . 004... fsdf... rewr.. fdfsf .island.. .. .", navButtonType = "End Dialog", choices={}, func = LibrarianEnd}
}

After this the second map will get loaded (the cryo room).

I still need to do some details:

-if you jump off the level(suicide) want to go begin level with a special message

-somewhat cool but not necessary at moment, persist on disk camera position and orientation when exiting game

-climb on top of monolith :)

-maybe add a tree model to the library room for more visuals ?

-red alert animation

-at begining show the name of the level

-play with lights to make room look better ?

• Like 1

Binary Station

1 minute ago, aiaf said:

No, something like a bottom part of a star trek teleport on the ground. And a tech device near that circle extruded from ground.

Sorry still slightly confused.   The thing you described sounds like a teleporter and control panel for it.  So what is the gate?

• Josh unpinned this topic