Added Models

mdgunn

Some of the models uploaded shown below.  See the Models/Architecture and Prefab/Architecture directories.

Also added some decals of 004 and a prefab of the previous monolith 5 model. See decals folder for decals and prefabs folder for prefabs. Also added start-b map to show the prefab in place.

image.thumb.png.ac6bb7585de54e0d69d4a58196b52ddd.png

image.thumb.png.95a9b9cdee1f610166f7e6a9ec6a9e8d.png

image.png.dbb63e1391faff2d0d580678ae50b07b.png

image.thumb.png.35a14e4e98cfdc97def62c8813aaa346.png

image.png.ea1cb8488a9b97013d882d01997e13f0.png

crate.thumb.png.112151c74e47d7c517e69e743a006203.pngchest.thumb.png.18f7ad2734f6c34c1835f56b14211732.pngwall_screen.thumb.png.baf65f54fdb2e3132ce0db50c2c5ac5b.pngtable.png.c889f50661ceda84bc99f74c1821783f.pngstool.thumb.png.6bc6e29e74b0a4dc7a39f5c0d679ed00.pngsofa.thumb.png.f1dba3d30541034b252c41c97aefa626.pnglocker.thumb.png.837e44293ccc16bc8bf675e2fd3b62af.pnglarge_table.thumb.png.bb7196efbd020bfd733c066112ca0582.pngcupboard.thumb.png.9859cca72dbdedc83b67d74dc26f51aa.png

image.png

• Like 2

Epic

I started to include this in first level.

But i have problems:

• I included the prefabs in proper places but they do not collide with the camera.Any idea what to do ?
  • when i try to rename the prefab i get an info from editor:

image.png.3943c7274663793bab75436874c135d0.png

The idea is that i have to rename them to the values i use in code (Terminal, WestGate, EastGate etc)

I made this with Leadwerks/UAK:

Structura Stacky Desktop Edition

Binary Station

By the way....I HATE the teleporter! Looks like a shower.  Some of the others are a bit meh, and I'd redo but for now they provide stand-ins should anyone want to us them.

There are more models than this also.  Check the directories mentioned, there are also the wall floor and ceiling panels and pipe, cyro pod etc.  Basically the VR test room is constructed from panels of power of 2 based geometry (e.g. 512x256).   We should keep focussed on mechanics though rather than going to far with models till we have maybe 3 areas to do stuff in and move between.

Heh , teleporter maybe need a particle effect in the middle and would be ok

Agree im trying to finish first level.

So do you have any idea what to do with my problems above ?

Why the objects are not collidable ? and why i cant find them with FindEntity even if i changed the names.

I attached to you a test map to have a look.

Thanks

start_test.map

Binary Station

2 minutes ago, aiaf said:

Epic

I started to include this in first level.

But i have problems:

• I included the prefabs in proper places but they do not collide with the camera.Any idea what to do ?
  • when i try to rename the prefab i get an info from editor:

image.png.3943c7274663793bab75436874c135d0.png

The idea is that i have to rename them to the values i use in code (Terminal, WestGate, EastGate etc)

Yeah this is normal.  You can break the prefab link and make an instance if you want, or you can open up the prefab (like a map) and modify that if you want if for example you want to add default script properties that make sense everywhere.   I have focused mainly on just getting the models ONLY into Leadwerks. 

There are no physics on the objects.  Select the MDL file for the object you want (the monolith) and assign a physics type that fits what you need (e.g. box may be enough, try a few).  I have not made all these decisions. I leave some of these choices for who want to use the objects more in their scene than mine.   We may need to tweak the physics types later. 

Moving to model objects provides a large time sink to me if I have to rework objects, re-import them set up physics again, reassign materials etc.  Really moving to models represents a real risk to progress forward.  Moving to objects and doing these models means I could not complete the other things I had planned.  I would like to see more modeled environments too but it's important to appreciate the time that got diverted into me generating about 15 objects rather than spending the same time elsewhere. 

Don't mind doing the models, it was fun but it DOES represent potentially a lot of time diverted.

There are already teleporter with particle effects in the Addon directory. I didn't want to replace your own teleporter with my own.  If you want I can do this but my goal was not to get into particle effects but just the model as you can probably appreciate.  I have done a good bit with particles though and may have some presets to try so if you want me to do teleporter particles I can just let me know.

Gonna have to head out.   When things are entities I think FindEntity may not find them as I believe they actually don't get a name value if an instance.  I'm, not sure there is a good Leadwerks reason for this, I was surprised by this too (if we are talking of same thing).  It sort of makes sense, if an instance it is not really a full proper copy.  May be a way to get round it (in script).  I think the easiest thing is if you just go ahead and break the prefab link so it is a full instance (just edit a property to get the dialog up).   

Keeping prefab links in place is something to watch out for as we further develop but for now a few broken links are OK and probably necessary and quite reasonable so don't worry to much, especially for unique objects.  Where we have genuinely lots of copies of something then keeping the link can be more important.

Though 'dream room' might have been interesting if it had a sort of abstract geometry or even abstract maze you progress through as you unlock info or items or something. Like the walls or floors retract or shift as you progress (maybe that is frustrating and confusing)....thinking a bit like bound (PS4 VR game). Just an idea though .

23 minutes ago, aiaf said:

Back to my problem

Any type of Physics i add there it doesnt collide with the monolith (for example Rigid Body -> Scene)

What physic setting should i add to the prefab ?

Probably Props collision, but have you added a collision type to the MDL file in the model editor, if not set there to be box, or object mesh etc. then the RigidBody type doesn't have any physics mesh to collide with.  On way out so can't check your example but may have time much later when back.

Can you look at this map when you have time.

In simple fps controller there is some code that on mouse over draw that hand on screen.

I import the teleport model, i set the script TriggerMapMutation.lua.

I compare with WestGate cube it has the same settings.

But it never draws the hand on teleport model.

I dont understand what is going on, maybe is something related to how model gets imported...

Ah and same script work ok for the monolith prefab and cube brushes, hand gets drawn, wtf

start.map

Binary Station

I got it working There are a few things needed for things to work out.

image.png.9d4fdaa45ae1d5d872a8cf84a2c40f4d.png

You need a property named 'enable' on the script attached to the object you want to use/trigger

You also need a method named use in that script.

Like this...

Script.enabled = true--bool "Enabled"

function Script:Use()
	System:Print("USE CALLED ON TRIGGERMAPMUTATION")
end

You will find these present in your working script. The other thing is less obvious.

The other issue here is that I had to collapse the model.  I think in some situation you don't want to do this and I may need to work with this a bit and understand what is going on.

I think basically the top level object of the teleport is probably empty like a null or empty so there is nothing for the raycast to hit, even though physics seems to be on. It is probably ON on the lower level objects but not this top level object. By ON I suppose I mean the physics are really defined for this lower child object but there is no geometry at the root for there to be anything to be hit.

I think when you collapse the model all the geometry that might be on lower branches all end up on the root so a raycast will hit it.  Sometimes you don't want this. For example I think you could make it so that you have a hitbox specifically setup on the HEAD of a character which might be a child of the body.  You can then specifically detect headshots if you do the right programming.  For the simple raycast that the FPS controller current uses I think it is probably simplistic and just expects to hit something at the top level where the script is attached.

So in summary 3 things needed:

1) Collapse any models in model editor if relying on simplistic FPS use/raycast check.

2) Add enabled property to the script (Script.enabled=true--bool "Enabled").

3) Add Use method to script (Script:Use() )

Any problems just get back to me.  It's useful to work through these first teething problems. 

Many thanks, works.

I knew is something related to the child objects or model import because for other object worked ok.

Also if you move one of the child object outside hierarchy , i dont remember exactly what i did , you get an object you cant delete from map.

Now i need to redo the model placements, cause i got bit of rage and deleted everything to try reproduce with just one object.

Cheers

Binary Station

That bound game is really awesome.

This first level want to leave it as it is. Maybe we can add more dream levels.

Ill start to think/test of another mechanic soon.

Btw can you modify that teleporter a bit , and make it a bit smaller, indeed doesnt look that good.

Binary Station

You can change the scale of the instance in one or more directions to adjust apparent if you just want it smaller in a certain direction but yeah it's pretty awful . It was one of the last ones I did. so after doing all the rest just wanted to get something out and stop modelling for a bit.  

Maybe I'll just do a teleport pad with just a bottom bit. 

If you wanted any more props or wall/floor elements and stuff like that you can let me know. I don't want to get hung up on trying to finalise lots of models but prototyping some fast ones (e.g. untextured) that even might get thrown away may help solidify a style. So, just let me know if there's anything else. Don't mind doing alternate versions of any, though I might shift focus back to other things for a bit too.

Yeah volume light is SUPER SUPER heavy on FPS. You can almost get away with it if you keep the setting very close to minimum.  If it was present it would probably need to be something that could be specifically toggled off in settings or with a low/med/high setting and it only on at high.

2 hours ago, mdgunn said:

Yeah volume light is SUPER SUPER heavy on FPS. You can almost get away with it if you keep the setting very close to minimum.  If it was present it would probably need to be something that could be specifically toggled off in settings or with a low/med/high setting and it only on at high.

If the volumetric light setting is more than zero then the rendering cost is the same regardless of how high it is.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

5 hours ago, Josh said:

If the volumetric light setting is more than zero then the rendering cost is the same regardless of how high it is.

Did a quick test with the lights tutorial level.  Seemed OK even on high though I'm on Vega56 now.

When I originally played with it way back (generally actually avoid it because of  past experience) It seemed to have increasingly negative impact beyond the first several clicks up from zero (before half way I seem to recall).   Perhaps it is not the volumetric light itself but it's effect on other things such as certain shadow settings.

Could be I was on a limited laptop GPU in some of these experiments so maybe this was also a factor.  Maybe it operates differently these days. Anyway I'm really pretty sure I wasn't imagining things. It did seem something was occurring. Very possibly side effects of bad setup, but then how would a new user know this if it can be this?