If Leadwerks 5 (Turbo) is going to be using PBR materials then will you be able to use Substance Designer Materials with it?

TheConceptBoy

Hey, everyone!

Substance Designer is on sale at the moment and since I already have Substance Painter, I'm debating on getting designer too.

My last question was why Substance Painter textures looked so much different in Leadwerks than in Substance Painter Editor. And the answer to that was the fact that Painter uses Physically Based Rendering (PBR) Materials which use different algorithms for calculating shader effects from texture data. 

Then I was told that the next version of Leadwerks dubbed Turbo Engine will be using PBR Materials. Does this mean Materials exported with Substance Designer will be compatible with Leadwerks 5?

Thanks

Substance Designer offers the Unreal Engine - like Node based Shader Creation system. 

Now when it comes to game logic and code, I find the use of nodes to be absolutely abominable. However with shaders, it seems to actually be quite a pleasant experience. Designer offers the easy to understand workflow for creating materials in much the same way Unreal Material Editor does, which means that if I can design my materials in Designer and export them to Turbo, that will be probably make me consider Turbo over Unreal for nearly all of my 3D projects.

There's 13 hours left on the Steam Sale for Designer so I'd love to asap. Next sale will be at the end of 2019

Leadwerks uses the traditional bumpmap system hence why custom PBR shaders never look right.

Turbo has PBR intergration in it's renderer and will accept the masks you'd export from Substance Designer or Materialize 

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

From what I've read at least. Substance Designer is a node based material creation tool. Aside from texturing, it handles the design of materials. I haven't used it yet, but that sounds awfully like being able to do more than just setting values of roughness, metall-ness, specular, etc. It sounds like you can use Designer to take vertex coordinate data, use noise generators and other nifty tools and create some gnarly looking materials.