Connecting to client over network. (4.6)

reepblue

Hello,

Is it possible to do a direct connection to another computer without Steam, or do both machines need Steam installed with their own accounts? I would like to test my net code within the same location to see if the right data is sending/receiving but the dependency with Steam kind of makes me uncertain.

Thanks.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

To clarify, with "behind a router", I would have the two machines plugged into a router. Do you mean that I can't do this or you're just restating connecting to another PC on the internet is not possible without the aid of Steam? I simply just want to connect to another room in the house.

I just want to understand what I'm getting myself into. :)

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

no it means they are on another router across internet to you router will not work.

you setup is both on the same side of router is just a normal lan network

• Thanks 1

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

Just did a test with the default template. It seems like the PC without Steam was unable to create a Lobby. From what I understand the P2P class is Steam dependent but nothing suggests the Lobby is.

It looks like I'd have to write my own system using the base client/server classes, which in that case I'll just use Turbo which as them as I'm interested in just sending packets over my network. Luckily, the Parameters for the P2P/Lobby is similar to the Client/Server.

We might in the future. The number of people making a multiplayer game is a niche and the number of people who want to do that outside of Steam is a smaller group.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I personally just want a client/server soultion in which the application hosts a server localy and then creates a client to connect to the server; kind of what Source does.

I have to experiment to see if it's practical. I still only wish to make Single player games, but I don't want to be limited. Having a system like described above will make any game multiplayer with a flip of a switch.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

We might in the future. The number of people making a multiplayer game is a niche and the number of people who want to do that outside of Steam is a smaller group.

Seems like that's true.  Multiplayer is definitely another level of challenge, with interpolation/prediction and whatnot stepping up the difficulty.  A few weeks ago I tested my dungeon game with a friend online and it was fairly smooth with 1 enemy.  Add 10 more and the client is unplayably laggy.  But this is with no interpolation or prediction so there's hope... if I can figure out how to do it.

50 minutes ago, gamecreator said:

Seems like that's true.  Multiplayer is definitely another level of challenge, with interpolation/prediction and whatnot stepping up the difficulty.  A few weeks ago I tested my dungeon game with a friend online and it was fairly smooth with 1 enemy.  Add 10 more and the client is unplayably laggy.  But this is with no interpolation or prediction so there's hope... if I can figure out how to do it.

One suggestion would be to pack all those different enemies into one single message. There's no reason that would be any slower than just one.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.